Not the End of the World (PC)

by Christopher Brookmyre | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BlossomU on 8/27/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BlossomU on Wednesday, August 27, 2003
"The crew of an oceanic research vessel goes missing in the Pacific along with their mini-submarine. An evangelical media star holds a rally next door to a convention in LA devoted to 'nubile' cinematic entertainment. The cops know there's going to be trouble and they are not disappointed. What they didn't foresee was the presence in their state of a Glaswegian photographer with an indecipherable accent and a strong dislike of hypocrisy or of a terrorist who seems to have access to plutonium as well as Semtex.
Bullets. Bombs.Carnage. Slaughter. Human sacrifice. Mass destrucktion. Bad hair. It's not the end of the world, but you can certainly see it from here."

And that is just the blurb, which does give an idea of the zest of this book. I would like to loan this to moimeme, I hope it gets to her in the Setúbal meeting! And in the way back, mfa would like to read it.

Journal Entry 2 by BlossomU at on Tuesday, September 16, 2003
Released on Saturday, September 13, 2003 at Passado em mão a outro Bookcrosser in Lisboa, lisboa Portugal.

Passado à moimeme no encontro de Setúbal por outra pessoa, obrigado!

Journal Entry 3 by Moimeme from Famões, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, September 17, 2003
No encontro de Setúbal, recebi esta prenda vinda directamente da BlossomU pelas mãos da Tho. Obrigada às duas! Em breve darei mais notícias.

Journal Entry 4 by Moimeme from Famões, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, October 06, 2003
I loved this book. It has a very very caustic kind of humor which definitely makes my day. Besides, it's loaded with criticism to all the new (and old!), fanatic and extremist christian "religions". Steff, a scottish photographer, is my favorite character, a very sarcastic, rational guy.
The geology is actually quite precise, even though I really would like to know the results if the end of the book was different ;))
I ended this book wanting to read some others by this author, and was really amazed to find out there is only one more copy of this book registered in all the Bookcrossing universe.
Thank you very much BlossomU, for this book!

Journal Entry 5 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, October 11, 2003
got this book today - and i'm rather curious. however, my geological knowlegde is non-existant... i hope it won't be a problem. thank you blossom-U and moimemme!

Journal Entry 6 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, March 12, 2006
although it took me ages to start it, i quite enjoyed this book. i suppose i would have felt it more intensely if i had read it back when the milenium was a newborn, but it being somehow dated does not affect the power of this story.
however, i wonder how i'd feel if i wasn't so in tune with the author's perspective on religion and politics... and the bit about mad fanatical christians feeling it's ok to abuse their own children rather than acting like healthy sexual beings disturbed me deeply, and now i'm going to try to find out more about that theory.
the only think that somehow annoyed me is the way this book is NOT a thriller; of course not all books have to be thrillers (and i'm not even into to the genre that much), but the way readers are rendered omniscient throughtout the book has a layer of laziness into it: "ok, there's this great idea for a plot, it does deal with conspiracy and all that stuff, but deploying the facts in a manner other than mere description involves too much work, too much risk". that's how i feel, anyway.

thanks a lot blossomU and moimeme, will be returned on st. paddy's...

Journal Entry 7 by BlossomU on Thursday, October 19, 2006
back with me for quite a while. thanks!