Then We Came to the End: a Novel

by Joshua Ferris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Lemonitsa of Montréal, Québec Canada on 2/4/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Thursday, February 4, 2010
No one knows us quite the same way as the men and women who sit beside us in department meetings and crowd the office refrigerator with their labeled yogurts. Every office is a family of sorts, and the ad agency Joshua Ferris brilliantly depicts in his debut novel is family at its strangest and best, coping with a business downturn in the time-honored way: through gossip, pranks, and increasingly frequent coffee breaks.
With a demon's eye for the details that make life worth noticing, Joshua Ferris tells a true and funny story about survival in life's strangest environment—the one we pretend is normal five days a week.

Journal Entry 2 by Lemonitsa at BookObsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (2/9/2010 UTC) at BookObsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

As someone who has never worked in an office environment, I found the setting sort of interesting. I must admit that it did get somewhat tiresome after the first 50 pages and I lost the humor a little after that. I wanted to know where the story was going, if the characters would do something different, but ultimately it was the same throughout. At times it felt like one escapade after another all strung together to make the story longer. The part I enjoyed the most was the get-together at the end.

(finished)

Off to a friend far away, for our monthly exchange at BookObsessed.

Journal Entry 3 by lmn60 from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Monday, March 1, 2010
And caught by me here in Australia! Thanks for this one, Lemmy! Onto the teetering heights of Mt TBR with it!

Journal Entry 4 by lmn60 at Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 25, 2019
Finally trawled my way through Mt TBR to reach this one! My experience of this novel was much the same as yours, Lemonitsa - I enjoyed the beginning but found it lost pace (and some of my interest) as it went along. Some good humour though - and a few nice character portraits. Will take this along to meetup to see if any of my fellow Melbournites are interested...

Journal Entry 5 by lmn60 at Henry and the Fox in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 25, 2019

Released 3 yrs ago (5/26/2019 UTC) at Henry and the Fox in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, lmn60, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!