A Little Twist of Texas

by Linda Raven Moore | Travel |
ISBN: 097795076x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 1/29/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, January 29, 2010
I read this in August 2006 and really enjoyed it. I recently picked up another copy to share with some friends. This was what I said when I first read it:

This is the true story of Moore's month-long solo motorcycle trip from Silicon Valley, California, to Fort Worth, Texas. As with any adventure, things don't turn out quite as planned but it's a good read nonetheless, and perhaps made better for all the unexpected twists. This is different from most travel writing I've come across, in that Moore manages to be a tourist no matter where she goes. Her descriptions of all the Tinytowns and Nowheresvilles she encounters are as enchanting as if she were exploring Paris or Tokyo. Though there were parts where her seemingly limitless credulity got a little exasperating, it was refreshing to witness someone so enthusiastic about life and so unabashed in her wonder at the world around her. It was surprisingly inspiring and reminded me that the world is really only as mundane as you make it. It's been a long time since a book touched me in this way. It makes me want to go on a journey of my own.

Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Friday, February 05, 2010
We had a BCinDC Convention Planning Meeting this evening and I got this book from melydia since I have not yet read it.

I have been looking forward to it but just never got around to getting a copy. I hope to put it up next on the TBR pile so that I can pass it along to another local area BCer at our next meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, February 13, 2010
I am not really a big reader of non-fiction or travel stories but I wanted to read this one because I "know" Linda from online and also have a love of BookCrossing and Markeroni both of which are featured in this book.

I was not really sure what to expect setting out but the picture is painted where Linda has done her homework and will set off on a cross country trip from California to Texas. When I realized that the motorcycle was not going to take her all the way I was very disappointed and I wished that things would have worked out differently. I was thrilled for Linda though as she made alternate plans and finished out the trip.

The insights along the trip made it special. There were times that it got a little too spiritual for my tastes but I am happy to leave each person to their own beliefs and comforts. I have a great respect for Linda and the things that she learned along the trip and how she was able to grow and change with the passage of time and miles.

Getting this look at Linda helped me to live a part of the Fort Worth BookCrossing Convention that I was unable to attend myself and gave me a look at the person that created Markeroni. I have more of an idea about snarfing and how to be a tourist balancing research about the things I want to see and seeing the things that I come across by accident.

Best wishes to Linda in future travels and I look forward to reading about them.

This book was read for the 2010 Pages Read Challenge from the release challenge forum.

My goal is 40,000 pages and this book has a total of 176 pages that I am counting for this challenge. I have a total of 18 books read this year with 4023 pages read for the year and that is 10.058% of my 2010 goal.

This book was released for the 2010 Keep Them Moving Challenge from the release challenge forum.

This is release #4 for this challenge.

This book was passed along to authorauthor at the BCinDC monthly meeting at the Panera Bread in Ballston Mall in Arlington, VA. We followed the meeting with a mini snarfari walk! It seems appropriate to mention that here.

Journal Entry 4 by authorauthor from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 04, 2010
I enjoyed this book, especially since I've "met" Linda through e-mails and the Markeroni site. Her lack of jadedness made this rather refreshing -- she approaches each new place, no matter how modest, as if it holds the potential for great wonders. Sometimes, she is disappointed, but that's part of the journey too. It definitely makes me want to set out on a road trip of my own.

Journal Entry 5 by authorauthor at Fairfax, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 04, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/4/2010 UTC) at Fairfax, Virginia USA

I'm bringing this to the BCinDC meeting tonight to pass on to another member who hasn't read it yet.

Journal Entry 6 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010
It's in my hands now! I hope to get to it soon. :-) Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 27, 2010
I finished this on Do Nothing But Read Day- June 27, 2010. I started it while on a trip to Denver, Colorado (read much of it on the plane ride back to Washington, D.C./Virginia.

I must admit it was a lot of fun reading this book while on a trip. And when I was finishing it up, I couldn't help but feel both excited and worried about my upcoming trip to Orlando. My mind kept wandering to the subject of what routes I might take, what snarfs I might find, and what adventures/problems I might have. I kept going back and forth between calling off the road trip and wanting to sit down and plan it out immediately. LOL So I found this book both inspiring and realistic.

I liked the honesty and details, making me feel like I was right there with her on her adventure. I've only ridden on the back of a motorcycle a few times, but that was enough to know that it was enjoyable but absolutely not for me; I like the feeling of perceived safety of four walls, a roof, and a floor around me at all times. But several of my fictional characters are planning a cross country road trip on motorcycle so this was especially interesting to read to get a sense of what that's really like.

I really enjoyed the twists and adventures. She managed to make everything--stretches of highway, tiny towns, stops for gas, staying with friends, national parks--interesting. I like how the subject matter ranged from the trip to books to history to spirituality to pretty much anything you could imagine. But the subject of this book is definitely not the trip--it's the trip-taker. It was great getting to know WhiteRaven a little better, see her photos, read her words, see what filled her with joy or caused her trouble, see her change and learn and experience. And while maybe a little was TMI it never made me uncomfortable, even for a second. It was just one more part of the adventure, one more layer to experience with WhiteRaven.

Also, the map & lists of supplies in the back were great. And I liked all the photos, captions, and ravens throughout the book. Beautifully assembled and a thrill to finally get to read. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 17, 2011
I won this book in a raffle but as I have already read this book it will be given to someone who is wanting to read it.

Journal Entry 9 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 17, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (4/17/2011 UTC) at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

given to futurecat

Journal Entry 10 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 21, 2011
Lytteltonwitch won this in a raffle at the DC convention, but as she'd already read it and I hadn't, she passed it on to me. Thanks!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 11 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 24, 2011
Fascinating to read this having so recently covered much of the same ground and at about the same time more year. Our trip was much more comfortable, being in a car/van/thing rather than a motorbike, but I can imagine how scary those winds must have been for Linda on her bike, considering how much we could feel the car swaying in some of the gusts we encountered crossing the desert.

Of course, now I'm left regretting the fact we didn't have time to stop more often along the way - so many things we missed!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 12 by rarsberry at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 30, 2011
Picked this up at todays lunch meetup.
Should be a great read.

Journal Entry 13 by rarsberry at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, June 11, 2011
Started this book sometime in May and finished the last few pages last night.
A great book. I felt like I was on the ride with you.
It must be tough riding a motorcycle compared to being in a car, especially different weather conditions.
Wonderful to finally read the book I have heard about for so long.

Given to Makita21 during the Wellington UnConvention, November 2011.

Journal Entry 14 by NXS-581865 at Stawell, Victoria Australia on Sunday, November 20, 2011
rarsberry brought this book with her to the Wellington UnCon and I was fortunate enough to pick it up, thank you, looking forward to retracing some of my own steps in Texas :)

Journal Entry 15 by NXS-581865 at Stawell, Victoria Australia on Monday, December 05, 2011
Interesting read, a bit like retracing my own steps for some of the route.
I was glad that Linda was able to tackle and (almost) overcome her very palpable fear she had at the start of the journey, the sense was so strong that it put me on edge.

Journal Entry 16 by NXS-581865 at Stawell Laundromat in Stawell, Victoria Australia on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (10/20/2012 UTC) at Stawell Laundromat in Stawell, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:

Congratulations! You have not only found yourself a book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other & the world at large.

I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me know that the book has been found. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. Happy reading!

You can always remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please consider using Makita21 as your referrer.