Forever: A Novel

by Pete Hamill | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingelizardbreathwing of Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on 1/29/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Friday, January 29, 2010
I received this in a trade from Pendleton Book Company in Pendleton, OR, USA in Jan. 2010.

Journal Entry 2 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2014
After flipping through this one, I've decided not to read it after all. Reserving for the historical fiction bookbox.

ETA: I finally did read this in June 2017. Here are my thoughts:

Book Description: "This widely acclaimed bestseller is the magical, epic tale of an extraordinary man who arrives in New York in 1740 and remains ... forever. Through the eyes of Cormac O'Connor - granted immortality as long as he never leaves the island of Manhattan - we watch New York grow from a tiny settlement on the tip of an untamed wilderness to the thriving metropolis of today. And through Cormac's remarkable adventures in both love and war, we come to know the city's buried secrets - the way it has been shaped by greed, race, and waves of immigration, by the unleashing of enormous human energies, and, above all, by hope."

I can't say enough how very much I enjoyed this story. The development of Cormac's maturity and insight over time is outstanding. The author took him from a sensitive and devoted preteen to an innocent, curious, and brave teen, to a point where his age becomes fixed but his character growth and maturity is not. His character traits in each phase of his life were believable and sensible. That, above all else, really stood out to me.

I've skimmed through this book several times over the years but always decided against it because of the excessive language and sexual content. It is not at all the kind of book I normally read---but I'm not willing to not recommend it based on that. The story is fun, heartbreaking, amazing, and informative, all in turns. It's not at all what I usually read, but I'm glad I did. Just be aware---strong language and explicit sex run rampant from cover to cover.

There were some very interesting comparisons between Irish and African traditions and tribal rituals. I also gained some new insight on George Washington that will cause me to never see him the same again. A very fascinating history that I was not ready to tell goodbye...even after over 600 pages.

A couple things bugged me throughout---namely the "fight scenes". Cormac is not yet fully grown when his age is fixed, yet he manages to brutally massacre several armed men much bigger than him. Even in his early teens, he takes out a grown man with several "body guards". These scenes were laughable to me. I mean, I get it that it's a fantasy but... Also, the last few pages when he busts someone out of the hospital without knowing the extend of their injuries and then hauls them up a rock face in a makeshift sling? Um. Please. I even laughed at the ending---pretty abrupt and sort of a let down after 600 pages. Still, there was so much awesome in the rest of the book that I just have to take it as a whole and love it.

Released 5 yrs ago (1/27/2014 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Releasing to the Historical Fiction bookbox.

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, March 03, 2014
Taking this from the historical fiction book box because I couldn't fit it back in the box.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016
How long does it take to find your true love? Is one lifetime enough? What do you do when you do find it? How do you answer life's challenges and choices?
Cormac O'Conner is born in northern Ireland in 1723, loved and cherished by his parents, happy with his parents, dog, horse and home. His father is a blacksmith and makes a very special sword. When he is nine he loses his mother, when he is sixteen he loses his father. The Earl of Warren, who lives in Belfast near them, is indirectly responsible for both deaths. The Earl, who ships slaves, is quite wealthy and he leaves to America to make even more money. Cormac, who has money from his father and the sword, follows the Earl to America after promising to avenge the death of his father.
Through acts of kindness to blacks who have been captured and are in the hold of the ship, Cormac is given the gift of almost eternal life as long he does not leave Manhattan. He needs to kill the Earl as he promised, and then he lives through nearly three hundred years of Manhattan history and makes choices he never expected to make.
I liked this book a lot and recommend it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 02, 2016
I am listing this book in Bookstogive's Lit/Fic VBB.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 26, 2017
I am taking this out of bookstogive's lit/fic VBB and putting it in the ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, August 07, 2017
This book was not chosen from the ABC VBB. I am going to wild release it.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, August 07, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/7/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA

On 43rd Ave NE off of NE 65th St. in Seattle