Here on Earth (Oprah's Book Club)

by Alice Hoffman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by K9stylist of Summerville, South Carolina USA on 1/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by K9stylist from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Friday, January 22, 2010
Very well-written book, just didn't like the subject matter.

Journal Entry 2 by K9stylist at Ladson, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/17/2010 UTC) at Ladson, South Carolina USA

Sent in a Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Thanks so much for sending me this book. I have read it already so I will keep it moving by putting it into Oliviapoolside's in Memory of Kalman bookbox! Thanks again:)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, January 23, 2011
Thanks so much for sending me this book! I've actually already read it but I will include the JE that I wrote:

If you meet someone who smells like sulphur it is a good bet that you shouldn't
a. adopt him and bring him home or
b. beat him up or
c. take him as your lover,
wouldn't you think? So what would you do with him? One character thinks he should have been left in Boston where he belongs. I don't think the author intended that to be funny but it made me laugh.
And did you know that sulphur smells like rotten eggs? The author says sulphur or fire or anger. The love affair may never have started if he actually smelled like sulphur.
OK, I'll get off this subject.
The book is about a poor, orphaned criminal boy who is adopted into a family in the country. He is needy and ruthless and the daughter falls completely in love with him. The story contains much of the magic that Alice Hoffman is famous for, but is darker and coarser. Other than that, judge it for yourself.

I'll be sending this on in a book box.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, January 30, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/28/2011 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Released into Booklady's ABC Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, February 04, 2011
Arrived home in my ABC bookbox. Going to decide what to do with the book - add it to round 2 or ???

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, February 25, 2011
Taking out of booklady331's ABC bookbox - thanks! I'll give it a try!

Journal Entry 9 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, August 17, 2012
Very well-developed characters in this book - I think that is what struck me most about this story. All were shaped by events in their past. Liked the New England setting.

Released 7 yrs ago (12/26/2013 UTC) at Walgreens, Houston Levee Rd & Winchester in Collierville, Tennessee USA

left on the bench at the front of the store building - hope you enjoy this book!