Spiral

by Koji Suzuki | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 1/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, January 22, 2010
This is a japanese horror and supernatral thriller. difficult to get into it.As I also have the sequels - "Ring" and "Looop" - I'll make the three bookds available together.

This book ist part of a triple RAY. The follwoing Bookcrossers read along:

"megami-no-ushi" from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
"kizmiaz" from Lisboa, Belém, Portugal (EU preferred)

Journal Entry 2 by book-man-8 at Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, November 15, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/16/2010 UTC) at Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany

This is off as a RABCK to Canada. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 01, 2010
It was so nice to crawl back to work today (stupid flu) and find this package and two cards waiting for me! Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 29, 2010
This book was so creepy!! I have no idea how Suzuki comes up with such chilling ideas and then presents them with such evocative language. I'm almost afraid to pick up Loop to see what else he has in store for me.

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (9/20/2011 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I'm finally sending this trilogy on to Portugal - I'm so sorry for taking so long with it!!

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 6 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, October 10, 2011
just got it, thanks megami-no-ushi and book-man-8.
I'm really curious about this author.

Journal Entry 7 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, November 05, 2011
I found this book better than Ring.
The characters are the major difference, in this story the characters are dynamic and engaging and make you care about them, in Ring this didn't really happened for me.
The plot also seems tighter and smoother, no events seem forced, it's like the author really wanted to draw the reader into the story, instead of being just a bystander.
I really enjoyed the description of the city life, how Ando has to catch trains and change trains all over Tokyo, the description of the buildings and the settings in general, I feel the author was more focussed and inspired in this second novel of the trilogy and he really does a great job with the virus in order to keep the story interesting and moving.
A good thriller, scary at times that leaves you thinking about how can this story possibly ever end on a good note?
Now moving on to Loop.

Journal Entry 8 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, November 11, 2011
Reserved for an international BRay.
BRay rules:
- I think a month per book is time enough for you to read this trilogy if you think you won't make it no problem, just let me know so I can post a little warning to the following BC'er, it's all a matter of courtesy;
- Please do not forget to make a JE when you get it and when you send it on to the next, that way we'll all know where the book is;
- There is no limit to people on this BRay, the more the merrier;
- I'll organize this by country so it won't be too pricey for anyone;
- Because life's hard for a lot of us, please feel free to ship by surface mail;
- The last person on the BRay is free to do with the books as he pleases, you might even want to help it continuing its journey.

Who's in:

- vcrazygirl - Portugal
- salvami - Ireland
- BoekenTrol - Netherlands
- LilyKlip - Germany
- biisbsw - USA<--It's Here!
- Rrrcaron - USA

Journal Entry 9 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/3/2011 UTC) at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

On a journey to new readers.

Journal Entry 10 by vcrazygirl at Almeirim, Santarém Portugal on Monday, December 19, 2011
Just got it :D

Journal Entry 11 by vcrazygirl at Almeirim, Santarém Portugal on Monday, June 04, 2012
sorry for still having this book...
I promise it will continue his journey this month! :D

Journal Entry 12 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Saturday, September 15, 2012
Thank you for sending! The books arrived in Ireland safely. I will look forward to starting them.

Journal Entry 13 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/19/2013 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

Started its journey again, sorry for keeping it long!

Journal Entry 14 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, February 21, 2013
The books arrived safely today :-)
Thanks for sending them out to me, salvami and for starting this ray, kizmiaz! Look forward to reading them. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, April 04, 2013
After reading and enjoying the first book (Ring) in this series, I wanted to continue reading the second book too. The first book wasn't a wow, but I still had some hopes for this second part.
And again, for me it wasn't a GREAT book. I'm still looking for the mixture of Haruki Murakami and Stephen King, since I like both writers a lot. Okay, there are some supernatural / surrealistic / horror things to this book, but nothing that made my hair stand up straight (like some books of King do) or have my head shake in disbelief / amazament about what Murakami made up and wrote down (like it was every day business).

The fact that this book was written as an independant entity, but still more or less a sequel, made it neccessary to add somewhere in the book more information about what had happened in Ring. I didn't like that. To me that felt like, excuse me, but I'm still writing it down, cheap filling of pages. Like in the books of Jean M. Auel, where in later works many pages are filled with things that have happened in earlier times. I think one should either make it a real trilogy (then the writer wouldn't have to repeat himself) or make it a seperate book. The way it turned out here, I think I would have chosen the latter.

Nevertheless, despite all the comment above, I kept reading and liking the new parts that I read. A person gets a puzzle that he wants to solve at all costs. Not realizing it at first, but slowly but steadily sinking deaper into the whole story. Putting aside all initial disbelief and thoughts of impossibilities, again a pair of 'investigators' get on thenext part of the trail that was started when 4 teenagers watched a videotape. This new turn in the story is well constructed and well told.

Since the last part is also here, I will continue reading that one now. I do hope that that one is not repeating a lot from book 1 and 2...

Journal Entry 16 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, April 05, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/5/2013 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Together with the other books in the trilogy, SPIRAL is now on its way to Germany, to LilyKlip. I wish you lots of reading pleasure!
I hope they arrive safe and soon.

Journal Entry 17 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, April 10, 2013
I have to say I skipped a lot of pages in this one and found it a bit "over-constructed". It feels as if the author could not decide between a supernatural and a scientific thriller. Nowhere near as good as Ring. I also disagree with kizmiaz about the characters. They remain shallow and seem to have no particular importance to the story. I also find it weird that a rape victim would gang up with a rapist...

After reading this book I do not feel like I want to read book number 3 and will pass on the trilogy to the next person as soon as I have an address.

Thank you for sharing the books!

Journal Entry 18 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/7/2013 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Continues its journey tomorrow!

Journal Entry 19 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Arrived here today. I've never read anything by Suzuki but I'm always interested in trying something new. I'll put it on top of TBR pile and pass it on as soon as I can.