People of the Book

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rem_IYK-917793 on 1/15/2010
Journal Entry 1 by rem_IYK-917793 on Friday, January 15, 2010
booktopia had a massive christmas/new year sale at the end of 2009, and i bought a huge stack of books - this was one of them. i told myself they'd be my christmas present to me, and it's a rationalisation that works just fine for me :) yes, i'm a book obsessive, and the fact that i bothered with an excuse is a rarity! looking forward to reading all of them!

Journal Entry 2 by rem_IYK-917793 on Tuesday, January 19, 2010
i mostly enjoyed this story about a famous book, and the journey backwards through time that reveals its origins and the people who were notably involved in its preservation and/or creation. what i had problems with was the young woman in the present day: most particularly, the lengths the author went to prove her "australian-ness". it's perplexing that geraldine brooks was born and raised in australia, yet whenever the hanna character speaks, she uses language like someone foreign to this country who is desperately trying to sound like she belongs here (eg. she uses words like "mates" and "tinny", but then lets herself down by talking about "seeing a shrink on MEDIBANK" instead of MEDICARE... which is something any resident would know). in contrast, the historical stories were both interesting and natural-sounding (or is that just because my knowledge of the past is so limited?) despite my problems with the modern-day character, i'm glad i spent time reading "people of the book". my mom wants to have a read next, then i'll be sending it off to sorcha-sidhe - i wonder what she'll make of it?

Journal Entry 3 by rem_IYK-917793 at Hackham, South Australia Australia on Monday, February 15, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (2/14/2010 UTC) at Hackham, South Australia Australia

posted off to the lovely sorcha-sidhe today. happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by sorcha-sidhe from Quorn, South Australia Australia on Friday, February 19, 2010
Received as an RABCK from cosminx, in the post, on Thursday 18/2/2010.

Cannot wait to read it. :)

xo

Journal Entry 5 by sorcha-sidhe at Quorn, South Australia Australia on Friday, May 11, 2012
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks is a series of stories based around the extraordinary survival of an illuminated Jewish prayerbook known as the Sarajevo Haggadah.

The story begins in 1996 in Sarajevo immediately after the Bosnian War. Hanna Heath, a rare book expert from Australia, has been sent to investigate and report on the Haggadah. Each historical clue found within its pages begins a new story of the book's travels across Europe over the course of 500 years, and of the people who assisted in its creation and survival.

From 1996 the reader is transported back in time, first to Sarajevo during World War II where the book is rescued from the Nazis; then to 19th Century Vienna during the rise of anti-semitism; Venice at the time of the Inquisition; Barcelona and the Jewish Exile from Spain; and Seville in 1480 where the creator of the magnificent illuminations is revealed.

Despite the whispers of Jewish history thread throughout this novel, People of the Book is more about the central character, Hanna, than it is about the Haggadah. Hanna Heath begins as a self-absorbed, shallow and sometimes dull protagonist, yet through a series of emotionally intense events woven between the history of the Haggadah, Hanna's character begins to shift and change. Forced to resolve a life-long conflict with her mother, to bounce back after a professional embarrassment, and face her fear of committment, Hanna is humbled and becomes a far more selfless individual.

Although I felt the story started a little slow, the moment the history of the Haggadah begins to be revealed the novel picks up pace, and it pays to be patient. I really liked how the author intertwines the different historical periods, bringing the story together and tying it off neatly at the end. An intriguing historical fiction with interesting characters and a modern twist.

Journal Entry 6 by sorcha-sidhe at Port Augusta, South Australia Australia on Friday, June 1, 2012

Released 10 yrs ago (5/30/2012 UTC) at Port Augusta, South Australia Australia

On its way to Mika in USA who has mooched this one from me via Bookmooch.com. :)
Safe travels, little book!