@The anatomist (Bookray)

by Federico Andahazi | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tho on 6/24/2003
Journal Entry 1 by tho on Tuesday, June 24, 2003
Controverse and highly publicised when it was first released a few years back, this book is a good read.

Excerpt from amazon review:
... The Anatomist is based on a historical figure and historical fact; what Andahazi provides is his title character's heart and soul. The fictional Colombo is driven by desire for the high-priced courtesan Mona Sofia. Though Mateo adores her, the heartless Sofia regards him as nothing more than a paying customer. After breaking both his heart and his bank account over her, Colombo returns to his native Padua whence he is eventually called to Florence to treat a saintly young widow, Inés de Torremolinos. Inés is "infinitely beautiful", and her illness is "far from common". While examining her, he discovers "between his patient's legs a perfectly formed, erect and diminutive penis". Land ho.
Though Colombo's "discovery", first in Inés and then in other women, offers plenty of opportunity for eroticism, the most compelling aspect of The Anatomist lies in the Church's reaction to De re anatomica, the book Colombo writes detailing his find. The Renaissance may well have signalled the birth of new art, science, and philosophy, but it was also the age of Inquisition--and Colombo's unfolding of "the key to the heart of all women ... the anatomical cause of love" soon lands him in prison on charges of heresy and Satanism. The trial, Mateo's defence, and the surprising aftermath make for provocative reading and raise The Anatomist above the level of the merely erotic to a more intriguing philosophical plane, one that is sure to prompt a lively discussion or two

I'm planning to release it on an international bookray soon.
PM if interested.

Journal Entry 2 by tho on Wednesday, July 02, 2003
The current bookray list is as follows:

1 - Zyana (Porto,Portugal)
2 - Leanne345 (Liverpool ,UK)
3 - Andycap14 (Glendora, California - USA)
4 - Seferim (Columbia, Maryland - USA)
5 - DrNoelle (Brooklyn, New York - USA)
6 - kalahari (Lisboa, Portugal)
7 - nypon (Porto, Portugal)
8 - LovntheReadn (Brooklyn, USA)
9 - Kymberlie (Houston, Texas - USA)
10 - Theresa-A (Nottingham, UK)
11 - jayda (Sydney - Australia)

If you want to join, please PM me (you'll be added to the end of the list)

Journal Entry 3 by tho on Wednesday, July 09, 2003
Sent by mail to Zyana in Porto today !!

Journal Entry 4 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, July 15, 2003
"The Anatomist" just arrived safe and sound (and dry! Inspite of the heavy showers outside!). I'll endevour to read it asap and send it on It's voyage ...

Journal Entry 5 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, July 17, 2003
I've just finished reading this beautifully crafted novel. It was a delightful surprise in both the topics it addresses and the manner in which it addresses them. Andahazi is a unique, masterfull storyteller and has produced a gem of a book.
Amusing, provocative and highly informative this is a truly interesting read regardless of historical accuracy.

As of today (18th July) "The Anatomist" is on It's way Leanne345!

Journal Entry 6 by Leanne345 from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, July 31, 2003
Got this book today, thanks very much. Shall read ASAP!

Journal Entry 7 by Leanne345 from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, August 23, 2003
Finally finished - sorry it took so long! I loved this book, i just couldn't seem to put it down once i got started. The way Andahazi has written it keeps you hanging on for more.

Journal Entry 8 by Bibliotender from Fontana, California USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003
Recieved today and will start it this evening.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by Bibliotender from Fontana, California USA on Tuesday, September 09, 2003
Wonderful book with supurb writing! I even slacked off at work to finish it.

Sent to the next person on the list on 9/9

Journal Entry 10 by Seferim from Columbia, Maryland USA on Thursday, September 18, 2003
Received today... I am really looking forward to this one! Thanks!

September 20th UPDATE:

The Anatomist was a beautiful and fascinating story. The writing style flows wonderfully, unlike many other translated books I have read. The characters were so deep and so personal. I was especially intrigued by the chapters about Mona Sofia's birth and upbringing. Many of the tragedies and experiences that are described in the book form her adult character--a woman who has been taught not to love anyone, and not to show any emotion.

The author's style was well-crafted, and extremely readable. As noted by some of the other readers above, such overtly erotic and sexual themes are discussed, but reading the text is akin to a historical account or philosophical discussion.

**Is the Georgia O'Keefe artwork too blatant?**

Journal Entry 11 by DrNoelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2003
It just arrived in my mailbox today. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 12 by DrNoelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, December 11, 2003
Unlike even the works of some English-speaking authors I've come across lately, this translated volume speaks with a clear voice. And this is a subject so few people are willing to even acknowledge, let alone tackle as almost a character unto itself in this book.

This isn't your mother's historical fiction! But I liked the story, spiced up as it was with the clinical eroticism as well as the jealousy of the university dean and the churchmen, who seem to be conspiring against women's sexuality, prolonging the wait for enlightenment and enjoyment across the world.

Thank you, Tho, for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 13 by DrNoelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, December 11, 2003
Since Jayda asked to be skipped for now (I hope s/he gets in on this ray again later, this is a worthwhile read), The Anatomist will be crossing the Atlantic, over to Kalahari in Portugal.

I heard on the news tonight that the busiest mail day of the year should be tomorrow. I'll be joining the mob at the post office!

Happy Holiday reading to Kalahari!

Journal Entry 14 by kalahari from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, December 31, 2003
Just arrived! Thanks, DrNoelle. :)

I'll read it as soon as I can.