The Virgin Blue

by Tracy Chevalier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by fushmush of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 7/10/2003
Journal Entry 1 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 10, 2003
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 22, 2003
A mesmerising novel. I couldn't put it down!

"The compelling story of two women, born centuries apart, and the ancestral legacy that binds them.

Ella Turner tries hard to fit in to the small, close-knit community of the French town that she has moved to. She even changes her name back to Tournier, and knocks the rust off her high-school French. Isolated and lonely, she is drawn to investigate her Tournier ancestry, with heart-wrenching results.

Isabelle du Moulin, known as La Rousse because of her fiery red hair, is tormented and shunned in her village - suspected of witchcraft and reviled for her association with the Virgin Mary. When she becomes pregnant, she has no choice but to marry into the arrogant Tournier family. Tormentor becomes husband, and a shocking fate awaits her - as Ella Turner discovers four hundred years later."

Journal Entry 3 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 25, 2003
This book has been promised to TramGirl. On its way to her this week.

Journal Entry 4 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Thursday, August 28, 2003
Received this in the post today (28/8), thanks fushmush I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Sunday, August 31, 2003
I loved this book! Fushmush was right, you can't put it down...so much for my study weekend! It was written really well and although there was the jump between the 2 time periods they were so interconnected that it worked really well! I look forward to reading more of Chevalier books.

Journal Entry 6 by Karolina from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, September 09, 2003
This book was amazing. Very easy to read and thoroughly fascinating. I realy liked the story and felt it was very real. Even though the characters lived 400 years apart their stories really connected and the reader is constantly torn between what happens in both. WEll worth the read.
I received it from Tramgirl- Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by OzChick from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2004
This was my first read of any of Tracy Chevalier's books.... and i loved it!! I love books which flow between one story and another- and these two stories where beautifully interconnected. Will definately hunt out more books by Chevalier now!

Journal Entry 8 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 11, 2004
OK - This is back in my possession after being read by a couple of friends (who as hard as I tried preferred not to journal it). So I have decided to make it a bookray, starting in Aus/NZ first and we'll see what happens!!

Alrighty here is the order of particpants at the moment - any major problems let me know!

Mundoo - Goolwa (SA)
tqd - Syndey
Jackiea - Sydney
Starflw5 - Sydney
Augustusgloop - Sydney ~asked to be skipped
Anna-T - Queenstown (NZ)~Skipped, no response to PM's
Crystalclear - Shellharbour (NSW)
Meganh - Gisborne (VIC)
Catsalive - Sydney
janetcarolina - Lima, PERU
This bookray has finished, Janetcarolina is now starting it on a new adventure. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Usual rules apply, please journal on receiving, PM next person in line, journal thoughts on the book and finally journal it again when sending it on.

Hope you all enjoy it and i look forward to reading what you thought!!

Journal Entry 9 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Thursday, June 03, 2004
The journey has started...this book was posted to Mundoo on 3/6/04.

Journal Entry 10 by Mundoo from Hindmarsh Island, South Australia Australia on Monday, June 07, 2004
Received the book today.

Journal Entry 11 by Mundoo from Hindmarsh Island, South Australia Australia on Sunday, June 13, 2004
Easy reading style. I have to admit that the cavalier approach to having children and dismissing marriages was a bit off-putting. The jumping from past to present was effective, but I didn't quite ever make the connection with the Virgin Mary and turning hair red. I understood the blue part. I had to wonder if the later-day Isabella wasn't a bit loopy.

Journal Entry 12 by Mundoo from Hindmarsh Island, South Australia Australia on Thursday, June 17, 2004
Posted to tqd during the week. Crystalclear asked to be missed and moved down the list.

Journal Entry 13 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, June 18, 2004
Turned up in the mail today. Thanks tramgirl for starting this ring, and mundoo for posting it!

Journal Entry 14 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 23, 2004
A good easy read, I do like Tracy Chevalier's style! And once I started this, I couldn't put it down.

However I don't think it was as polished as The Girl With the Pearl Earring. The ending was rather upsetting and abrupt - usually I like some things left unresolved, but this was somewhat unsatisfyingly unresolved.

It did have an interesting spookiness to it with the cutting back and forth between Isabelle and Ella. (D'oh! I only just noticed the similarity of the names!) I could see it working as an arthouse movie, actually. You could work in a lot of atmosphere.

Finally, I'm not convinced that the modern storyline/historical storyline is Tracy Chevalier's strong point. I think she does a great historial novel (as evidenced by The Girl With the Pearl Earring) but using a modern storyline to flesh out what was happening with Isabelle seemed a little cheating somehow. (Sort of like she found it difficult to explain things in the historical section, so used Jean-Paul to explain them in the modern section.)

But a great read, I really enjoyed it, the above comments are more quibbles than serious criticisms.

And on to Jackiea next!

Journal Entry 15 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 28, 2004
Will pass on tonight to JackieA, over tapas & sangria.

Journal Entry 16 by jackiea from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Received from tqd last night and it's next on my tbr list!

Journal Entry 17 by jackiea from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 11, 2004
I was a little disappointed in this book, doubly so as I was looking forward to reading it and it just didn’t live up to my expectations.
I found the historical passages hard to read and preferred the modern sections of the story, although there were some aspects that were quite bizarre; spontaneously changing hair colour, the image of Ella wandering around France and Switzerland toting a gym bag of human remains and (speaking as a genealogist) the ease with which Ella uncovered all the secrets of her ancestors. If only it were that simple!
I will try something else by this author and thanks tramgirl for giving me the opportunity to read this one.
Will be passing it on to starflw5 at tomorrow night's meetup.

Journal Entry 18 by StarFlw5 from Byron Bay, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 18, 2004
got this at the meetup on tuesday. thanks jackiea.

Journal Entry 19 by StarFlw5 from Byron Bay, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 02, 2004
Wasn't that taken with the book but it was an easy read and kept me interested to the end. Will now send on to Anna-T as Augustusgloop has asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 20 by crystalclear from Shellharbour, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, September 19, 2004
Recieved on Friday, now on my TBR list and will read ASAP and send on.
Thanks

Journal Entry 21 by crystalclear from Shellharbour, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Really enjoyed this book, easy to read and kept you interested throughout.
Sorry took me so long to get to it.
Have posted onto meganh today.

Journal Entry 22 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 24, 2005
This arrived with me last Wednesday -sorry about the delay in journalling but I've been at the tennis (tough life isn't it!) Thanks for including me tramgirl; I've already started reading it and am enjoying it so far. I like the way the story moves between the 16th century and the 20th century.

Journal Entry 23 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 31, 2005
Michelle, you were right - I did love this book -it was quick to read because I had to know what was happening next. I loved the way the book moved between centuries and the family connection between Ella and Isabelle. I noticed the author once again used a painting to partially tell the story too. I did find the easy dissolution of Ella's marriage disappointing, and the recovery of Marie a little far-fetched but otherwise an enjoyable read.
Off to Catsalive now.

Journal Entry 24 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 06, 2005
Just arrived & on my TBR.

Journal Entry 25 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 16, 2005
This is a brilliant story. I couldn't put the book down - had to put life on hold & read it in one sitting. I particularly liked the contemporary love story, which couldn't have existed without the pain of the 16th C tale. An easy read & worth the time.

Off to janetcarolina when I receive an address.

Journal Entry 26 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 27, 2005
I've just received janetcarolina's address. I'm sending this via surface mail today.

Enjoy Janet.

Journal Entry 27 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Saturday, July 16, 2005
Mail!!!Just what i needed to find after a hard day of work!Thanx everyone!...and thanx Catsalive for the beutiful Aussie card!

Journal Entry 28 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 16, 2005
I apologise for interrupting the journal flow but I just wanted to say how happy I am that you've received it at last, janetcarolina. I thought it had been lost in the great postal void. It must have just taken a while to fill a ship from Australia to Peru.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 29 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Friday, July 29, 2005
...and how did i enjoy it! Such a good book i couldn´t put down, i just had to find out what happened next and must admit i even got annoyed whenever i finished a chapter and had to wait til i finished the next one to continue where it was left!

Thanx to all who participated,and to Tramgirl for allowing me be a part of this ray!

Journal Entry 30 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Saturday, July 30, 2005
...and being the last person i guess i'll continue the ray, just hope lots of people join!

Journal Entry 31 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Tuesday, August 02, 2005
And here is the list of all who have asked to join(final order):

1.Miss-Owl (Australia) Ship Int'l
9.Wyldewomin (USA) Ship USA/Int'l if necessary
10.Loveamystery (Canada) Ship Int'l
11.Elsita (Portugal) Ship Int'l
12.Nikel27 (Germany) Ship Europe

So, let the journey begin!

Journal Entry 32 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Friday, September 02, 2005
Just sent it to Miss-Owl. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 33 by Miss-Owl on Sunday, September 25, 2005
This book is in remarkable shape after its many travels. Thanks, janetcarolina! I'm off on a trip to Thailand soon & will take it with me - on the plane each way it adds up to 18hrs of uninterrupted reading time - bliss!

Journal Entry 34 by Miss-Owl on Sunday, October 02, 2005
A wonderful plane read - especially since (in Australia, anyway) Virgin Blue is the name of an airline! Chevalier excels in creating empathetic characters in women who struggle against the restrictions of their authoritarian societies. I think there were a few plot holes & loose ends, but forgivably so. I'll try to send this from Thailand if I can (be understood)!

Journal Entry 35 by Miss-Owl on Thursday, October 13, 2005
Nope, couldn't get myself to a Thai post office unfortunately. Sent from Sydney today instead (sorry about bland computer printed stamp!). Allbookedup should receive it in about two weeks. Thanks for the read, janetcarolina :)

Journal Entry 36 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Received the book today. Thanks for sending it all the way from Australia to Austria!! (And thanks for the postcard)
I can't wait to get started...

Journal Entry 37 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
I quite enjoyed the book, even though it was not very realistic, but it was an interesting story.

I sent the book off to Italy a while ago.

Journal Entry 38 by Eilan86 on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
It came to me in the mail today. No idea why it took so long. I'll be quick in reading it.
----------UPDATE------------------------------------
The book has been mailed yesterday to Icila

Journal Entry 39 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, February 06, 2006
Got in the mail this morning from Italia. Thanks.

Journal Entry 40 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, February 12, 2006
Having enjoyed "The Girl With the Pearl Earring" I'm a bit disappointed. The story is easy to read and I pleasant but it's difficult to swallow the connection betwen the historical section and the modern one. It's too far-fetched !
Being french I was upset by the way this american woman is rejected by the village but after deeper reflection, I think it's the same way in other countries with new people in a village, even in the same state. It's seems that the author had known the same fortune.

I didn' get the connection between Bella and Isabelle till I read the previous J.E.

Journal Entry 41 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Monday, March 13, 2006
This arrived in the mail this past weekend while I was out of town. Looks like a great read! I'll bump it up on Mt. TBR right after my current selection. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 42 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Wednesday, April 19, 2006
I enjoyed the book, but must admit I was a bit disappointed. This was the first novel I've read by this author and I don't quite understand why she's so highly reviewed. The story was good, but as other journalers have said, pretty unrealistic. I liked how it jumped back and forth in time, but didn't clearly understand the connection. It felt like a lot was left unexplained that was really needed for the story to progress. I kept hoping the next chapter would bring a clue as to what was going on, but I never really got what I felt I needed.

I don't speak any French so I think some of the dialogue was lost on me. I liked the descriptions of the places she was traveling to although I've never been to any of them. I will certainly try other works by this author as I enjoyed the writing style.

I've PMed Phenol to request an address so that I can pass the book along ASAP.

Journal Entry 43 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Mailed today to Phenol to continue the ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 44 by Phenol from Eden Prairie, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 26, 2006
Apologies for the delay. I'd almost forgotten about my bookcrossing account until I received this book in the mail. :)
Anyway I thought the book was filler- the sort of thing you read because there isn’t anything else to read, and it isn’t particularly bad, it just isn’t particularly spectacular either. It’s clear that Chevalier is a good writer, and she’s very readable but as mentioned in other entries, she has some plot holes, elements of the book are completely unbelievable- they fall into the crack between realistic and fantastic and are hopelessly lost there. I think the last page is the best part of the novel. At first I was mildly annoyed by it because it didn’t satisfy any of my expectations, then I realized that I found the whole book bland precisely because it was predictable…turned around and loved the ending.
I’d recommend anyone of Chevalier’s other books over this one. Girl with a Pearl Earring is still my favorite, but Falling Angels and The Lady and the Unicorn are still much better.

Journal Entry 45 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Sunday, July 15, 2007
Just received an update on this book from Phenol indicating she hasn't been able to continue this ray due to personal issues, even so, we're gonna try to keep it going so i'm gonna pm Bulan-purnama and see if the book is still wanted.

Bulan-purnama asked to be skipped cause she's already read the book so i'm pming next in line

Journal Entry 46 by janetcarolina at Lima, Lima Peru on Friday, September 01, 2017
Hello everyone,

So, after a while i've come across this and was wondering where the book is...

Journal Entry 47 by wingmeganhwing at Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Friday, September 01, 2017
Nice to hear from this book again and to see all the readers and countries this book travelled to!
It's a shame that Phenol was involved in the book ray as she never registered any books on her bookshelf and probably did not understand how bookcrossing works. It would be amazing if we ever hear from the book again.