The Postman

by david brin | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by JPix of Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on 1/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by JPix from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 03, 2010
He was a survivor - a wanderer who traded tales for food and shelter in the dark and savage aftermath of a devastating war. But when he borrows the jacket of a long-dead postal worker, his life changes forever. As he journeys from one isolated community to the next, the old, worn uniform becomes far more than a protection against the unrelenting cold: it becomes a reminder of how things were before the world collapsed - and a symbol for how things might be again. And his story becomes one of a lie that turns into the most important kind of truth. Against a background of global failure, THE POSTMAN is a powerful and affecting novel of the survival of the human spirit from the author of the award-winning Uplift novels.

Journal Entry 2 by JPix at Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 29, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (9/29/2017 UTC) at Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom

Sent as a RABCK to dark-draco, enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 03, 2017
Thank you so much for my wishlist book - this has been one I've wanted to read for a long time :)

Journal Entry 4 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 11, 2019
WOW!

I've always been a fan of the big disaster, end of the world, distopian story - whether novel or film. And although the actually catastrophe makes for some good entertainment, I'm always more intrigued as to how the survivors will rebuild and what sort of society would emerge from the ashes.

Well this book addresses that in a really neat way - you only hear about the Doomwar and end of civilisation through odd remarks and thoughts - but as Gordon travels from place to place, you see how different groups of people have structured their lives around the new reality.

I love the way that getting mail suddenly gives people hope - a way to once again think beyond the environment just outside their home, and see the world as a much bigger place. I also love Gordon's inability to see that he is the person he's been longing to find - someone who takes responsibility and tries to rebuild, even if it is reluctantly to start with.

The whole Dena/women warrior storyline definitely gives you food for thought ... whether you would agree with her philosophies or the way in which she tries to fight back, it's certainly an alternative to the all our warfare the other men seem to prefer.

Definitely my favourite quote from the book...
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.”

A brilliant read.

Journal Entry 5 by dark-draco at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 06, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (1/4/2020 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This is my choice for the Favourite Book of 2019 Roundabout - hope you enjoy it.

PARTICIPANTS
10 Math-Girl40
11 Mcsar
12 Valpete
13 original-slicey

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 06, 2020
Arrived today. Of course not on it's own. Can't believe I'm starting 2020 with a backlog.

Journal Entry 7 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 05, 2020
This is not my usual choice of book and I wouldn’t have picked it up myself but I found it strangely compelling. It is a surprisingly upbeat and hopeful story for an end-of-the-world novel. I really wanted to know where it was going and needed to get to the end. Good choice for the roundabout - I'm glad when I enjoy a book I would never have looked at myself.

Journal Entry 8 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Released 1 wk ago (2/12/2020 UTC) at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Sending on in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 9 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, February 14, 2020
Safely arrived. Next tbr.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, February 17, 2020
Earthcarolanne took the words out of my mouth. I certainly would not have picked this book up in the first place, but the storytelling was so compelling I finished it in a couple of days in a weekend that was already overloaded. I loved the sense of hope linked to Gordon’s presence. Thank you dark-Draco for choosing to send this dystopian science fiction special round.

Released 4 days ago (2/17/2020 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Here’s another quite different book chosen for the roundabout by dark-draco. It’s all proving very interesting. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 12 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 20, 2020
Arrived with me - favourite book of 2019 roundabout.