My Sister's a Barista: How They Made Starbucks a Home from Home

by John Simmons | Business & Investing |
Registered by sagra7 on 1/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by sagra7 on Sunday, January 3, 2010
I normally don't read 'business' books, but I thought this one was fascinating. I feel like I learned a lot, both about the history/philosophy of Starbucks as well as about basic branding/marketing principles. I think it's written in a way that will appeal to a broad cross-section of readers. Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 2 by sagra7 at on Sunday, January 3, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at

To be released at the next meeting of the Bangkok BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 3 by NangSue from Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand on Monday, March 1, 2010
caught at bangkok bookcrossers meeting

Journal Entry 4 by NangSue at Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand on Monday, September 13, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (9/13/2010 UTC) at Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand

released at bangkok bookcrossers meeting

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 2, 2022
I sometimes search the listings at AbeBooks and eBay for the keywords like "bookcrossing" and "BCID" and variants, and have found several listings that included "bookcrossing label" in the descriptions. (I don't mind seeing BC books in bookstores or for sale - that's part of a book's life cycle as far as I'm concerned. And in this case the BC info was preserved, so that's good too.) I've purchased a few of those, both to find out their history and to read and re-release them.

This one came from the used bookstore My Dead Aunt's Books in Maryland. There are lots of active BCers in the area so I guessed the book came from one of them - but no! This one was registered and released in Thailand, with the last entry from 2010. How it got to the US and where it's been in between may remain a mystery, but I was delighted to be able to help the book continue its travels!

As for the book itself: It's more of a promotional guide to starting a business, featuring the history of the Starbucks franchise, and the author's an economist who specializes in branding. So the book might be of interest to businessfolk, and/or to fans of Starbucks who are interested in how it became such an iconic brand. (I've enjoyed their products at times, though I seldom seek out a Starbucks as my beverage-of-choice location these days.)

The book does touch on the accusations of Starbucks as a threat to the environment and as a juggernaut romping over mom-and-pop businesses, but overall it's more of a "see how well they're doing what they intended to do" book - for good or ill! But I would recommend the final section as a very clear statement of the ways businesses of all kinds intentionally position themselves to lead the customers into believing they have their best interests at heart... I think many/most people do know this but tend not to think about it in conjunction with their favorite places!

[For those who like to learn about the founding of iconic businesses, I recommend the somewhat-quirky manga-format Project X - Nissin Cup Noodle, in which the development and promotion of the instant-noodle brand is depicted.]

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Maine Diner in Wells, Maine USA on Thursday, July 7, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (7/7/2022 UTC) at Maine Diner in Wells, Maine USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the Maine Diner, while stopping by for some of their marvelous seafood chowder. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in ME here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Seeking Septads challenge. ***