Lemon

by Cordelia Strube | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/28/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, December 28, 2009
A Christmas gift ! :)

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 31, 2010
This is the first book I've read by Cordelia Strube, but it definitely won't be the last. She's written seven novels before this one. Where have I been? This book was fabulous. I loved it. And, apparently, I'm not the only one. *Lemon* is on the long list for the National Post's "Canada Also Reads"

At the heart of the story, Limone (a.k.a. Lemon) is just a troubled teen-aged girl who needs someone to love her - preferably a mother. Limone actually has three mothers: her birth mother whom she's never met, her adoptive mother and her step mother, none of whom seemed to have been able to step up to the plate for their daughter. Her father's a deadbeat and her friends ... well, while on the surface it seems that her female cohorts are worthy companions (at least in terms of hanging out and doing stuff friends do at that age), when the chips are down, they fall short too.

I love Lemon. She not just smart-mouthed, she's smart. She's opinionated and has a heap of "sick topics" she likes to expound upon. She reads - history and literature. She has a job. She volunteers in the children's cancer ward and it is these sick and dying children as opposed to anyone else - family member, friend, teacher - for whom Lemon shows the most compassion, especially four-year-old Kadylak whom Lemon truly loves.

With all this going for her, I did find it hard to believe that Lemon would be considered a loser (by herself and her classmates) and the target of almost unbelievable cruelty. In fact I was bothered by my impression that while the adults in the story were largely ineffective, burdened with their own issues, the young people were so very cruel to each other. I suppose there always has been, in the high school years, an "in crowd" and a bunch that don't fit in and that there always was and will be feelings of injustice and bitterness about that. But I don't remember the "in crowd" being so blatantly cruel to the "non-members". Self absorbed, yes. But not vicious. I truly hope that what Strube portrays is not the norm for kids today.

However, I do think Lemon, who remains true to herself no matter what, is modern day "heroine". And, the book is a fabulous modern day coming of age story that I hope gets the attention it deserves. Maybe "Canada Also Reads" over at the National Post will help with that.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Polo Park Shopping Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, May 23, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (5/23/2010 UTC) at Polo Park Shopping Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

in the photobooth near the Portage Avenue entrance.

I released this book for week #21 of the 2010 Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge. The theme this week is "tuxes and ball gowns". It looked to me that Winston Churchill has a tux on and surely Queen Victoria's regalia will qualify as a ball gown!

I hope whoever finds this book enjoys it as much as I did. Cheers!