Hurray! The Bookplate Creator is back!
We've been promising it for a long time, and now it's finally here... We have a brand new Bookplate creator. Read all about it in this Announcement forum post!

Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood

by Rebecca Wells | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BerlinBookworm of Washington, District of Columbia USA on 12/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by BerlinBookworm from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Friday, December 25, 2009
This is the second part of Rebecca Wells' trilogy around the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. It is preceded by "Little Altars Everywhere" and followed by "Ya-Yas in Bloom". You should definitely read "Little Altars" first to get a better picture of the situation. All the characters and the setting are introduced in "Little Altars".
I'm actually a little bit surprised that "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" became this huge bestseller. I thought "Little Altars" was much better. Of course, "Divine Secrets" is very entertaining and readable and absolutely worth reading but I felt it didn't reach the depth of "Little Altars". Plus, I was a little shocked that it is sort of an apology for Vivi's behavior towards her children. The essence is pretty much that Vivi (and her husband Shep as well) suffered from child neglect and abuse as well and sort of passed it on to their children. Moreover, Vivi is described as psychologically ill. I think this helps us understand their behavior towards their children but it doesn't excuse it. Especially, the sexual abuse of their children. When you read Little Shep's and Baylor's account at the end of "Little Altars", when they look back at their childhood as adults, it is truely heart wrenching to see what the experience of sexual abuse has done to them. Therefore, it was a little hard for me to see Vivi as this grand person (as well as her Ya-Ya friends whose behavior towards their children is also less than optimal and who turn their heads at the abuse that is happening at the Abbott family).
To cut a long story short: Despite its weaknesses, it's still worth reading.
I was in the mood to read on but then didn't buy the third volume "Ya-Yas in Blomm" because of the very weak reviews it received.

Journal Entry 2 by BerlinBookworm at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (1/5/2010 UTC) at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany

I'm putting this book in the zinat1's English book box as part of a set with "Little Altars Everywhere". Please leave the two of them together. It's recommendable to read them one after the other. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by lopeanha from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, February 19, 2010
ich habe das Buch aus zinats english book box heraus genommen

Released 6 yrs ago (11/13/2016 UTC) at Bayenthal - offener Bücherschrank in Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany