The English Patient

by Michael Ondaatje | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ecossaise on 12/20/2009
Journal Entry 1 by ecossaise on Sunday, December 20, 2009
I adored the style of this book, the way it unfurls a story with pieces being revealed gradually, just as we tend not to get everyone's life stories all at once in real life either.
And don't be put off if you didn't like the film, I think the book is very different.

Journal Entry 2 by Meg72 from Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, December 30, 2009
I really loved the movie! The landscapes, the passion, the tragedy... I cried so much in the end!
I´m curious to read the book and see if it stirs up the same emotions.

Journal Entry 3 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, January 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/11/2010 UTC) at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal

This wasn´t an easy book to read. I had to paste the bits and pieces to understand the characters and their actions. I must confess that I sometimes got lost and it was the recollection of certain scenes of the movie which helped me out. The book is quite unique, indeed, different from anything I have read before.

Journal Entry 4 by Nice-Find-Books from Dickson, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Just received this a couple of days ago as part of the favourite book roundabout. Of course I've heard of this book but I've never read it or seen the movie so I'm not sure what to expect.

Journal Entry 5 by Nice-Find-Books from Dickson, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, February 28, 2010
A well written book with some lovely prose, however I did find it a little slow and at times hard to follow. I had to pick it up and make myself get back into it at times.

Journal Entry 6 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, March 13, 2010
The book arrived in Stavanger on a nice sunny day, the spring is on it's way & nearly all the snow has gone.

Journal Entry 7 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, April 05, 2010
I started this book - and realized that I have read it before. Sometimes I'm just a real scatterbrain.

So this JE is what I wrote the last time a read the book:

I have seen the film at some point, but can't really remember much about it.

I liked this book, it is quite slow going. I find the four characters in the book and their interactions interesting to follow, I want to keep on reading to know how things do devlepoe for them. All the love they experience and all the pain.

This book goes into two of my personal challenges. It is book no.156 of the 1001 books you should read before you die and the author is originally from Sri Lanka.

Journal Entry 8 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 27, 2010
my turn, thank you

I'm sorry, this one is wasted on me. I'm a person who prefers Calvin & Hobbes to fine art and this is definitely at the fine art end of the scale.

Journal Entry 9 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 12, 2010
I enjoyed the film so hopefully I will enjoy the book. I will read as soon as I am able and pass it on.

Journal Entry 10 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, June 06, 2010
I really enjoyed this book. I have seen the film which I enjoyed even though it was very long and slow. I found the book moved along more smoothly whether it was because I knew something of the story first or not I am not sure.

I can see why it has become a favourite.

Journal Entry 11 by mafarrimond at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 06, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/7/2010 UTC) at Favourite Book Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent onto Philosoraptor as next in line.

Journal Entry 12 by Philosoraptor at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 17, 2010
Sorry for delay in entry. Received this as part of the Favourite Book Roundabout. Thank you! Can't wait to get stuck in and offer my humble thoughts with others.

Journal Entry 13 by Philosoraptor at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 17, 2010
Wow. I can see why this is a literary classic and a must-read. Although the pacing is markedly slow and narrative decidedly non-linear, I don't think it got in the way of my enjoyment of the book. You cannot help but be emotionally invested in the characters throughout their development. Now to see the film to see how they stand against each other :)

Journal Entry 14 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, June 28, 2010
just received the book in the mail, will read it soon.

Journal Entry 15 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, September 23, 2010
I had a hard time getting into the book. The beginning seemed rather confusing. But after a while, it really started getting interesting as the stories of the lives of the different characters got told. All in all a good book, but maybe not my favorite.

I'm having issues with release notes today. I mailed the book to LiniP today but can't make the release note right now.

Journal Entry 16 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Got the book in the mail when I came back from my holiday. I have started reading the book and so far I really like it, especially the way the new characters are introduced and included in the story. Will write more once I have finished.

Journal Entry 17 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, October 18, 2010
I truly enjoyed reading this book even though it was sometimes difficult to follow the changes in time. I especially liked the description of the relationships of the four people in the villa.

Reserviert für die 1.000-Bücher-Buchbox

Journal Entry 18 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, May 16, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation LiniP!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 19 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, November 04, 2011
The book is off to Romania to the next reader as part of the 1001-book-VBB. Enjoy reading the book.

Journal Entry 20 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, November 09, 2011
Thanks LiniP for this longed-for 1001 book. I'm looking forward to reading it, hoping this will happen soon enough.

Journal Entry 21 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Finished (and greatly enjoyed) during my holiday in Greece. I loved the characters, so well shaped, and the poetic prose that accompanied their path. This is so different from other war- or post-war novels I've read. Less heroism, more humanity and emptiness, more of the sense of destruction such conflicts bring along.

Thanks for making me a part of this book's journey. i also loved to see it was a part of the Favourite Book Roundabout - such interesting and mixed reviews!

LE Nov 7th - Placed in soffitta1's EURO 1001 VBB
LE May '13 - Not chosen, so returning to the 1001-library Availables

Journal Entry 22 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, May 31, 2013
This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing lamelemon:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 23 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, January 12, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/14/2019 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

After gathering dust on my bookshelf for years, waiting for somebody to request it, finally found it on a 1001 reader's wishlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, January 21, 2019
And.... the book is back with me. :) I forgot that I've read this book before, but I can't remember much about it. Time for a re-read, I guess! Thanks lamelemon!