Rose Cottage

by Mary Stewart | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/20/2009
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, December 20, 2009
This is a hardcover Large Print book. I purchased it at a library book sale for my mother-in-law. She has age-related macular degeneration and is legally blind. However, with a good light and strong glasses she can read these books so I am always on the lookout for them. She has now read this book and has given it back to me.
My mother-in-law said this was a really good book. From the inside front flap:
Rose Cottage, a tiny thatched dwelling in an idyllic English country setting, would appear the picture of tranquillity to any passerby. But when Kate Herrick returns to her childhood home she uncovers a web of intrigue as tangled as the rambling roses in its garden. Curious as to the changes and the welcome she'll find, she is relieved when, at first glance, everything seems just as she remembers it. But she soon finds disturbing evidence of a break-in. The papers she has come to retrieve are gone. The village is alive with gossip. Did her elderly neighbors, suspected of being witches, really see nighttime prowlers and ghosts in the cottage garden? Kate's search for the truth brings her together with childhood friends and neighbors, some suspicious of her return, but most eager to help. It also leads her down a trail of family bitterness, jealousy, and revenge--and into an exploration of her own past. But Kate finds true happiness in her humble baginnings, and true romance where she least expects it.

I'll keep this for mrsgaskell's aunt.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCJL-230711wing on Saturday, January 09, 2010
Thanks, gypsysmom - I'm sure my aunt will like this one. I might even read it myself. Enjoyed your visit this afternoon!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCJL-230711wing on Monday, January 11, 2010
This was still sitting on the coffee table this morning, and since I'd finished my other book at bedtime last night, it seemed to be beckoning to me. So I picked it up and I've read the whole thing in one day. It's a very nice read, and a happy book. I enjoyed it and I know my aunt will [and now I will dutifully pass it on to her :) ] Thanks gypsysmom!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCJL-230711wing on Friday, January 15, 2010
Passed on to my aunt today.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCJL-230711wing on Tuesday, April 06, 2010
My aunt gave me back a stack of large-print books that she's finished with. I'll see if my daughter can take this to the library at Riverview Health Centre where more readers might enjoy it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCJL-230711wing on Saturday, May 08, 2010
Change of plans for this book: Mr G will take this to England for his mother next time he goes for a visit - she would really enjoy it.

Released 8 yrs ago (10/30/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Passing on to my M-I-L today.