Lolita

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dark-draco of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 12/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 19, 2009
TBR

Journal Entry 2 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 13, 2010
As this is on the list of 1001 books you must read before you die, I was expecting great things. Unfortunatley, I just couldn't get into it. Although the subject matter is, obviously, disturbing, this wasn't actually what put me off. I just found the 'diary' entries very self-endulgent and, to be frank, boring! They also tell you how the story ends, so I decided it wasn't worth persuing when I have such a lrage number of books still to read. I hope that it finds a more appreicative audience out there.

Released 9 yrs ago (2/20/2010 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent in a box of books as a major RABCK - hope you enjoy them all!

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 25, 2010
Gosh the last of the bunch to register as arrived, thanks so much once again, got lots of reading to do now xx

6 Sept 12 - I really don't know what to say about this book, I read it from beginning to end. At times I forgot that Lolita was so young and at others found it very disturbing. I was useless as French in school so found the French phrases frustrating, and after few chapters could not be bothered to look them up. The ending was however a complete surprise. I apologise that this review is useless but I really am at a loss for words!

Journal Entry 5 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 10, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/10/2012 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent on as a RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2012
This book was waiting for me when I arrived back from work. Am not sure just how quickly I will be to get around to it but many thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 7 by 4evagreen at High Peak, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 23, 2014
“She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.”

Many reviewers regard this book as a modern classic and there is no doubt it is a remarkable book especially as it was written in English rather than the author's own first tongue. Also the fact that the narrator is also a pedophile and as such a anti-hero is quite remarkable.Now I'm sure that many will disagree with me but I actually enjoyed the first half of this book,despite or maybe because of the subject matter,but disliked the second half despite. The second half, as the narrator slips into madness,was just overly descriptive and therefore the plot became ponderous and it stretched credulity just too far for my taste with the seemingly pointless second road-trip.The cover blurb talks of dark humour within but personally I just didn't see it.But perhaps the worst part of this book for me was the constant addition of French phrases, after a while I just gave up looking for their translations.

That said and done I'm glad that I've finally read it but whilst the imagery of the book will last the book itself will not.

Journal Entry 8 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 11, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/11/2014 UTC) at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom

I have held on to this book for too long and having spotted it on a wishlist decided to send it out as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by carmendoran at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 14, 2014
Just received as a RABCK - what a lovely surprise!!! Thanks so much

Journal Entry 10 by carmendoran at Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Interesting, but not inspired...

Journal Entry 11 by carmendoran at Stoneygate Barn in Pardshaw, Cumbria United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/29/2014 UTC) at Stoneygate Barn in Pardshaw, Cumbria United Kingdom

Left on the communal bookshelf at this self-catering cottage for a holiday read.