Strangers

by Taichi Yamada | Horror |
Registered by Tsjara of Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 12/14/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Tsjara from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, December 14, 2009
Bought this book on holiday in Hong Kong at a book sale..
Sounded interesting.. a sort of Japanese ghost story :)

Back of cover: Middle-aged, jaded and divorced, TV scriptwriter Harada returns one night to Asakusa, the old dilapidated downtown district of Tokyo where he grew up. There at the theatre, he meets a likeable man who looks exactly like his long-dead father. And so begins Harada's ordeal, as he's thrust into a reality where his partnes appear to be alive at the exact age they had been when they died so many years before.

Originally published in Japan in 1987, first published in USA in 2003 (translated by Wayne P. Lammers)

Reserved for the Contemporary Asian Literature Virtual Book Box, hosted by ApoloniaX

Journal Entry 2 by Tsjara from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, December 25, 2009
Finished reading the book today. It was a nice, easy read. A bit sad and not really scary or something (even though it is a sort of ghost story). And I really didn't see the twist at the end coming..

Reserved for katrinat
(chosen from the 2nd round of the Comtemporary Asian Literature VBB)

Journal Entry 3 by Tsjara at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/29/2009 UTC) at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Now travelling to the UK
(chosen from the Contemporary Asian Literature VBB).

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, January 02, 2010
Arrived today from the Asian VBB. Looks good. Thanks for sending

Journal Entry 5 by katrinat at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 28, 2014
I finally got to read this book after years of looking at it and thinking that I must really get to it. For such a short book this took me a long time to read. I enjoyed it in parts but found it quite slow going, I also didn't see the twist at the end, I thought something else was going to happen.
I'm trying to start a vbb of already book crossed books so this will be added to that pile.

Journal Entry 6 by katrinat at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2016
I realised I still have this so it will be offered as a RABCK if no one takes it I will bookmooch it, it deserves to move again.

Journal Entry 7 by wingardachywing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Received in the post whilst I was away at the Birmingham UnCon. Thank you katrinat, it will go in my Little Free Library in time for Halloween.

Journal Entry 8 by wingardachywing at Little Free Library - Ravenswood in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, October 21, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (10/21/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library - Ravenswood in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Released in time for Halloween.

Ready for Halloween

Journal Entry 9 by bethanymay at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, March 23, 2017
Just picked this up from the Little Library in Ravenswood. Very excited to read this and to see where it has been!

Journal Entry 10 by bethanymay at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, March 30, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Fantastic beginning, middle and end, couldn't put it down because of the suspense. Love the writing, the characters and the references to the culture. Poignant and witty. I'd love to keep it but I must pass this on for someone else to enjoy. I particularly love how the title applies to all the characters. 10/10 !