The Songlines

by Bruce Chatwin | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by rrredhead of Picton, Marlborough New Zealand on 6/22/2003
Journal Entry 1 by rrredhead from Picton, Marlborough New Zealand on Sunday, June 22, 2003
About aborigines in australia and the meaning of their ancient "dreaming-tracks". It is an interesting topic but i dont like Chatwin's way of writing.

Journal Entry 2 by rrredhead from Picton, Marlborough New Zealand on Sunday, January 18, 2004
have sent it to bookcrosser BookGroupMan. Have fun :-)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 20, 2004
Thanks Christine(!), i'd forgotten about this. Really looking forward to this :-) I'll send you a PM about the southern hemisphere stars and the lovely time we had in NZ

November 2004

I’m not sure where Chatwin (or his publisher) thought he was going with this book; part travelogue, part anthropological study, part memoir, not wholly successful anyway. Most of the action is set in the Australian outback, Bruce Chatwin (erm...as himself) following a sort of local aboriginal liaison officer as he tries to sort out a land dispute. Btw this was part of the new North-South continental train line, recently opened, so quite topical. So far, so good, albeit quite predictable and not particularly inspiring or fun. Slowly BC begins to understand the ‘songlines’ and their cultural significance to the indigenous peoples, and then the whole book change...

For a 100+ pages we get extracts from BC’s notebooks as he sorts out material for a book (this book, how confusing is that). A lot of anecdotes & quotes about nomadic peoples of the world, reflections on early humans as hunter-gatherers, early communication, man as prey, as agressor etc. etc. Although some of this is interesting, the disjointed style is strange and very hard to follow (and retain).

Thanks to rrredhead for sharing this with me; almost a year since we were in Australia & New Zealand, doesn't time fly. What do you want me to do with it next?

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan at on Saturday, November 27, 2004
Released on Saturday, November 27, 2004 at about 6:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Caffe Nero in Ipswich, England United Kingdom.

Picked up at our first Ipswich meet-up, and a fine occasion it was too :)

Journal Entry 5 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, November 27, 2004
Picked up at the first Ipswich meet up. Am quite a fan of Bruce Chatwin and his disjointed style so I may enjoy this more than the previous journallers.

Journal Entry 6 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, May 09, 2005
I loved this book. I have been having a big internal fight with myself between wanting to keep it, and knowing that this is not in the spirit of bookcrossing. I shall write down some of my favourite quotes, and then pass it on.

I loved this book because I felt like I was there. I could smell the stale, hot air, and feel the sand and dust clinging to my hair. It appealed to me as both a collector of arcane knowledge, and as someone with inbuilt wanderlust. Basically, it is a book I would love to write.