Bloody Harvests

by Richard Kunzmann | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 033042663x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Linniepinnie of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 12/13/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Linniepinnie from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, December 13, 2009
In post-apartheid South Africa, a pair of homicide cops, partners and friends, struggle with what divides them. Detective Inspectors Harry Mason and Jacob Tshabalala, both decent men, share a view of law enforcement that makes the job something like a calling. Both, however, are products of their cultures, and in a sense trapped by them. In "the New South Africa," seven years after the ascent of Nelson Mandela, their differences have become manageable. When the horribly mutilated body of a ten-year-old child is found, a ritual murder, black and white cops react in sharply different ways. Harry, himself a father, can focus only on the brutality of the crime. Appalled by it, he desperately wants the killer caught and punished. Every Zulu on the force, including Jacob, feels the same, but they see another dimension to the brutality, one that unnerves them: "bad muti" (magic), the work of a powerful and dangerous sangoma (witch doctor). Urbanized and westernized though they are, the grip of the old ways is tenacious. Suddenly, Harry and Jacob find their value systems at war, their friendship at risk and a remorseless killer reaping the benefits of their conflict.

Jacob is forced to reconsider his beliefs as both a tribesman and a cop, becoming increasingly convinced that this time they are dealing with a genuine witch - perhaps powerful enough to subvert the investigation itself. The two friends' relationship deteriorates as the case progresses and cultural tensions grow. They are still no closer to identifying the killer, when a second murder occurs. Meanwhile a young British reporter, Nina Reading, has been conducting her own investigation into slave-trafficking, thus putting herself in deadly danger. Harry's discoveries and Nina's revelations unite and lead them even deeper into an awesome spiritual underworld in Hillbrow, where money and fear reign supreme. But their enemies will stop at nothing to protect their bloody harvests - including the kidnapping of Harry's own child.

Journal Entry 2 by Linniepinnie at CoffeePlaza in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/3/2011 UTC) at CoffeePlaza in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Linniepinnie. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Journal Entry 3 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, April 09, 2012
I visited OBCZ CoffeePlaza to take some books with me to Finland. Unfortunately most of the BC books were in Dutch, which I'm unable to understand :(
Thanks for sharing, Linniepinnie. Regards from Finland!

Journal Entry 4 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, August 27, 2014
I have huge mountains of TBR books and now I must do something for them...

EDIT 270814

I'll take part in the Kuukausivapautukset 2014 -challenge by Chania with this book as harvest= sadonkorjuu in Finnish :)

Journal Entry 5 by winglukutuoliwing at Kahvila Pikku Peikko in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (8/28/2014 UTC) at Kahvila Pikku Peikko in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Kävin päiväkahvilla Pikku Peikossa ja vapautin samalla tämän Kuukausivapautukset 2014 -haasteen kirjan BC-hyllyyn.

Onneksi olkoon, olet löytänyt BookCrossing-kirjan! Toivottavasti pidät kirjasta ja ilmaisesta BookCrossing-sivustosta. Ole kiltti ja tee merkintä, jossa kerrot, mistä löysit kirjan. Jos luet sen, olisi myös kiva kuulla, mitä pidit kirjasta. Luettuasi kirjan voit joko pitää sen omassa hyllyssäsi tai antaa sen jatkaa matkaa. Jos päätät liittyä BookCrossing-sivustolle, pääset myös itse seuraamaan kirjan matkaa ja lukemaan uusien lukijoiden ajatuksia tästä kirjasta.

Hyviä lukuhetkiä!

P.S. Jos et ole aikaisemmin tutustunut Bookcrossingiin, seuraava linkki voi olla avuksesi:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/30 (suomenkielinen keskustelufoorumi)

BC-sivuston kielen saa halutessaan vaihdettua sivun ylälaidan vihreässä palkissa olevasta valikosta.

Journal Entry 6 by LolaRobin at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, September 01, 2014
I went to drink some coffee, and this book caught my attention. I read the back cover, seems interesting. Not an usual book I would read, but I'm gonna try! :)

Journal Entry 7 by LolaRobin at Vammala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Couldnt get into this book, so I sent it forward.

Journal Entry 8 by LolaRobin at Vammala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (9/4/2015 UTC) at Vammala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

You chose this book from the Tasteletter. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 9 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, September 16, 2015
And the book has arrived. Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, November 19, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (11/19/2018 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

This book goes out to the winner of the "You've Got Mail Sweeps". I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 11 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 29, 2018
Thank you for this thriller which looks good, also two lovely postcards featuring donkeys and a Christmas card.

Journal Entry 12 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, June 16, 2019
An excellent thriller.

Released 4 mos ago (7/1/2019 UTC) at Royal Mail (RABCK), -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to feltre, a wishlist book.

Journal Entry 14 by feltre at Zografou, Attica Greece on Friday, July 05, 2019
Thank you very much for this wishlist book, the lovely postcard and the BC labels and stickers.

Journal Entry 15 by feltre at Zografou, Attica Greece on Monday, November 04, 2019
Nice plot, very interesting information on the culture of Africa.