Fool

by Christopher Moore | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by anathema-device of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 12/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, December 6, 2009
Got this for my birthday from dasaug.
Seems I have to read King Lear first (which, I shamefully admit, I have never read)...

Journal Entry 2 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Thursday, January 21, 2010
Finished Lear today, immediately started on Fool.
I'm really not sure, it might turn out a bit too vulgar for me, but we'll see, maybe the humour will win out after all.

Journal Entry 3 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Saturday, January 23, 2010
Okay. Finished.
Somewhere in the first third of the story I felt the need to complain about all the "bawdiness", the inaccuracies not only concerning history but also Shakespeare's work, and the general lack of wit (feeling that all the really funny, and especially the sarcastic bits were written by Shakespeare rather than Moore) - but then I just went on reading, and even though it is rather vulgar at times, it's somehow nice in other places. And in the end, the Author's Note (or, as I see it, the Author's Apology) kind of makes up for the worse parts.
I'll check whether one of my BookCrossing friends wants to read it. Maybe it can still collect some JEs before disappearing into the wild...

Journal Entry 4 by anathema-device at Canada, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 24, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/25/2010 UTC) at Canada, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book is flying to Canada as soon as I can find an envelope.
Hope you'll enjoy it, rockyhorror1978! :)

Journal Entry 5 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Thanks for the RABCK anathema-device! You rock! I am looking forward to reading this book. I am a huge fan of Christopher Moore. I will read and then pass on to another person with it on their wishlist! :)

Journal Entry 6 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 14, 2016
I love Shakespeare and I love Christopher Moore; however I was a littl disappointed in Fool. It's always interesting to read a re-imagining of classic literature from the perspective of of a secondary character; however I was disappointed in Moore's treatment of Lear's fool.

As anathema-device identified, there was too much reliance on bawdy humour. While this was a key device in Shakespeare's work, I feel that Moore may have taken it too far in the direction of being crude rather than witty. Sadly, this detracted from the positive dialogue and banter between characters.

While the bawdiness was excessive, it did provide the opportunity to explore the sinister nature of Lear's eldest daughters. For example, the interactions between sisters that may have influenced the events in King Lear and Fool.

Journal Entry 7 by rockyhorror1978 at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 16, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (10/16/2016 UTC) at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING! YOU'VE COME TO A FRIENDLY PLACE!

Congratulations on finding this book and hope you enjoy it. I would be thrilled if you take the time to let me know what you thought of it by making a journal entry when you find this book and/or when you have finished reading it. Please feel free to explore bookcrossing and if you decide that you would like to join, tell them rockyhorror1978 sent you! :) It's a free and fun way to liberate your literature!

If you are going to share this book by passing it on or leaving it somewhere in the world to be found as a "wild release," let the world of bookcrossers know where and when by using it's unique BCID number and following the instructions!

Enjoy this book! "Make the whole world a library"

RELEASE NOTES: Released in the plaza building on the fifth floor in the waiting area.