Penguin Great Ideas : A Tale of A Tub

by Jonathan Swift | Nonfiction |
Registered by Jozebedee of Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on 12/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 06, 2009
Swift's exuberant, bawdy fable is a unique satire on politics, religion, fashion, madness and on writing itself - one which can be seen as anticipating the postmodern age with its witty digressions and dissection of the art of fiction.

Photobucket

cat207 AUS (Int'l)
Sherlockfan NZ (Int'l)
Tubereader LUX (EU)
Back to me please! :)

Released 9 yrs ago (12/29/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending off first to Caroley - happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Received today thanks.

I'll be starting it as soon as I've finished my current book.

Journal Entry 4 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, January 01, 2010
Read it this morning - first book of the new year. It was interesting, although I think Swift's wit was a bit odd for my taste.

I appreciate the chance to read it though, so thanks for starting the ring Jo. I'm just waiting on Kingfan30's address and then I'll get it sent on.

Journal Entry 5 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, January 04, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted to Kingfan30

Journal Entry 6 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 07, 2010
Book has arrived safe and sound, thanks for including me

18 Jan 10 - Sorry did not like this book at all, really hard going and I just did not get it. The only reason I managed to get through it is because I was away for the weekend and only had the one book with me.

Journal Entry 7 by kingfan30 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/19/2010 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

On its way to Danielle23, hope you enjoy it more than I did xx

Journal Entry 8 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2010
The book arrived safely this morning, thanks for sharing Jo and for posting it along kingfan30. I have a few rings before this (you know me Jo, lol) but I'll get to it as soon as possible xx

Journal Entry 9 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 03, 2010
I finished this today and don't think I liked it all that much. The story of the three brothers was readable enough but the parts with ears and wind just went over my head.

Thanks for sharing Jo, I'll get it posted off to the next in line soon xx

Journal Entry 10 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, February 08, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/8/2010 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to cally-c, the next in line. I hope you enjoy it xx

Journal Entry 11 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 11, 2010
Arrived this morning - thanks!

I'll read next.

Journal Entry 12 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 04, 2010
I really struggled with this book. I read Gulliver's Travels some years ago & loved it, so I was expecting this to be similar.
I'm sorry to say I didn't really get it at all, I think it is probably a book that made good sense in the time it was written, but not now.

This will be posted on later today, thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 13 by wingcally-cwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 04, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/4/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to shovelmonkey1

Journal Entry 14 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 09, 2010
Received today and having just read the reviews below i'm now a bit scared of it! But I will give it a go anyway and see how I get on... I've just given up on one 1001 book today (Hunger by Knut Hamsen = terrible) but i'm determined not to be a quiter. Will get to this ASAP but three other bookrays arrived at the same time. Thanks to cally-c for sending this on.

Journal Entry 15 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2010
Started reading today after finishing Invisible Monster by Chuck Palahniuk. I suspect I may find that these two books are a very large world/cosmos apart.

Journal Entry 16 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 24, 2010
have had to put this book down for a little rest as i am making slow work of it and not really taking any of it in as my brain is too cabbaged by work. will continue reading soon.

Released 8 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Ok, i gave up on this book without really giving it a fair shot but i just wasn't really in the right place for this one. My brain has been too work flumoxed and i have the attention span of a baby right now! So this book is now travelling on to a new home in the USA. Thanks for letting me participate, even if i only kept this book warm and dry for a few months without reading it!

Journal Entry 18 by snarkhunting at Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 04, 2010
Though this arrived on Friday, I was only able to commandeer an internet connection this afternoon. (I do love the new site design, but it seems my Droid is having some difficulty making sense of things.)

I expect this will be a welcome break from finals. :) Looking forward to getting started.

Thanks for passing it along!

Journal Entry 19 by snarkhunting at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (7/6/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I'm afraid I couldn't get in touch with ex2, so the book is on its way to cat207.

I was only able to read about half of this book. Something about the writing style made it a challenge to read. In spite of that, I did enjoy the part of the book I was able to read. I'll try to finish it later on Aldiko.

Thanks for the chance to read this, and Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 20 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 15, 2010
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you allthesepieces, and Jozebedee for sharing your books.

Journal Entry 21 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 01, 2010
Such a long time to read such a small book...

Waiting for an address for Sherlockfan.

Journal Entry 22 by cat207 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 06, 2010
Heading off to Sherlockfan in NZ in Monday's mail.

Journal Entry 23 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, August 27, 2010
Book was waiting with a daunting pile of mail when I arrived home from 6 weeks overseas.
I joined this ring hoping the book would be good as I have fond memories of "Gulliver's Travels". Must say that the journal entries are a little off-putting but I'll give it a go. Sad to say that most of the 1001 books I've tried so far have not appealed at all. Maybe this will be the exception that proves the rule.

Journal Entry 24 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, August 28, 2010
No! Sorry, I'm just too old and too conscious of tempus fugitting at a great pace to struggle with this one. Pity. It should have been fun, but fun it was not.
Thanks Jozebedee for starting the ring - there must be more erudite folk about than I who will enjoy it.
I'll pm Tubereader and it will soon be off on further travels.

Journal Entry 25 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, September 02, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/2/2010 UTC) at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand

I have Tubereader's address now and will be posting this off this afternoon. Hope it travels safely. I'm saying this because I've just received a book from Canada that was totally sodden when it arrived, not readable and fit only for the Book Cemetery. Such a pity.
Will be waiting for notification of its safe arrival.
First time I've ever posted a book to Luxembourg.

Journal Entry 26 by Tubereader at Luxembourg / Lëtzebuerg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Sunday, October 10, 2010
The book arrived safely a few days ago but I had not journalled it and just realised today when I was going to write that I have started reading it.

Journal Entry 27 by Tubereader at Luxembourg / Lëtzebuerg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Sunday, October 31, 2010
The book was really strange. I was surprised on how modern some of the parts of it where (for the time it was written). As some (or at least one) of the previous readers, found the tale of the three brothers somewhat interesting (and understandable) but the digressions where a bit difficult to follow for me.

Thanks anyway to Jozebedee for organising the ring. The book will be heading back to you shortly!

Journal Entry 28 by Jozebedee at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
It has arrived home! Thanks Tubereader :)