The Diary of Ma Yan

by Ma Yan | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 12/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Sunday, December 06, 2009
Book Description:
'No more money for school this year. I till the land in order to pay for my brothers' schooling. When I think of the happy times at school, I can almost imagine myself there. How I want to study! I want to go to school, Mother. How wonderful if I could stay at school forever!' - Ma Yan, aged 13 In a remote province in Northeastern China, in May 2001, the journalist Pierre Haski and his group are preparing to leave the tiny village they have been visiting. Suddenly a peasant woman approaches and urgently thrusts into their hands a letter, written on the back of a seed packet, and three small brown notebooks filled with characters in a finely drawn pencil. When their precious bundle is translated, they are astonished to find they hold thirteen-year-old Ma Yan's diary and a passionate letter she'd written to her mother, headed, I Want To Study. The Diary of Ma Yan tells the moving tale of a spirited girl who wants to overcome her impoverished life, who prefers to go hungry in order to save money to buy a pen, who feels deeply for her mother, and her young brother . It is a story of indomitable spirit, wonderful humour and thirsty intelligence.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Tuesday, February 09, 2010
I enjoyed this book whole heartedly.
Plan to look into the French website to discover more.

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4shawwing at Highett, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (2/9/2010 UTC) at Highett, Victoria Australia

Out on loan to Batty22bat

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, August 06, 2010
I was very surprised when I just received this - then I remembered that I had picked it from the Asian VBB :-) Looking forward to reading it, hopefully soon, then it could continue its VBB journey in the East Asian VBB.
Thanks a lot, J4shaw!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Great book! It's more than just the diary of a Chinese teenager from a remote, impoverished region - there is lots of interesting background information and descriptions of how the publication of Ma Yan's diary changed her life. I appreciate that Pierre Haski doesn't present it as a glorious story, but also admits that "in such a poor community, aid brings as much disappointment as it solves problems" and that "this is a drop of water in an ocean of need". He also takes into consideration the disadvantages for Ma Yan. But of course it made all the difference to her life, and to many other children.
The Enfants du Ningxia Website (English version) doesn't seem to have been updated since 2006. The latest news of the French version are from 2008.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at East Asian VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/11/2010 UTC) at East Asian VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Annimanni chose this from the East Asian VBB.
Travelling to Finland now.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Received with thanks :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 23, 2015
This book seems to be quite interesting.
Thank you for the book Annimanni!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnneliswing at Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 09, 2017
This is a great book! I wonder how Ma Yan had the strength to write her diary after all the hardships of her days. The hunger was difficult to read about because I know it too from my childhood but mine was mild compered to Ma Yan's. The hunger to know and learn is also part of me and that hunger never disappears.

This is my book #59 in the Reduce Mount TBR 2017 -challence by Dove-i-libri.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnneliswing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/9/2017 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I'll take the book to the meet-up in Helsinki.
Happy reading!

Book #55 in the 2017 Keep Them Moving -challence by Booklady331

Journal Entry 11 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, May 11, 2017
Got this from Annelis, thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 28, 2019
I read this awhile back. Glad to have the backround info from the country and the situation in the book as well.