Friend of the Devil

by Peter Robinson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Sujie of Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on 12/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Sujie from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 06, 2009
Another Peter Robinson to read - yippee!

Journal Entry 2 by Sujie at Jing Jo OBCZ in Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 21, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/21/2010 UTC) at Jing Jo OBCZ in Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia

In bookshelf at end of counter.

Journal Entry 3 by Skyring at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 27, 2010
So sorry we missed you, Sujie! But we had a wonderful dinner in this delightful restaurant with Kerri and Bargainqueen and Discoverylover, and we all checked out the shelf.

We mentioned your name to the staff, and they all smiled happily!

Reading it at now, and enjoying it immensely.

Journal Entry 4 by Skyring at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, December 31, 2010
I sometimes find it hard to keep track of all the maverick senior detectives, jazz-lovers, determined crusaders, hopeless and hopeful lovers, and gloomy drinkers.

Chief Inspector Banks returns for another Peter Robinson look at the seedy side of the North. The structure is familiar - the sometimes confusing alternation between two horrific murders that are seemingly unconnected, and the diligent and determined work of sorting out the secrets and uncovering the killers. There's a surprise death in this one, which adds its own complications to the emotional turmoil in which the main characters find themselves.

It was last year that I passed through this area on the train north to Edinburgh. Small cities on the edge of the grey North Sea, moorlands to the west, Holland over the water. A bit of a backwater compared to other detectives in Los Angeles and London, but the setting brings to life the people of the land, the students, the fishermen, the minor professionals, the police.

I enjoyed this, now that I'm familiar with the narrative style jumping between investigations. Banks and Annie, drawing closer as they follow up leads, finding links between crimes and hearts. Will they or won't they? And finally, one of them is perched on the very edge of death, a razor's edge, a scalpel's edge as the reader turns the final pages to discover the truth of it all.

And, of course, I wouldn't be a Grateful Dead fan if the title didn't strike a chord with me.

Journal Entry 5 by Sujie at Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 05, 2011
Aha...obviously I wasn't a Grateful Dead fan! Thanks for that tidbit, Pete, and I hope next time you give me more notice and I can meet you for a bit more of the Jing Jo ambience.

Journal Entry 6 by shateen2 at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, February 20, 2011
Did not have the time to read it yet, I'm flying back to Switzerland on Thursday, gonna make it travel a little bit more ;)