corner corner Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present

Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present
by Hank Stuever | Other
Registered by Shemchin of Plano, Texas USA on 12/6/2009

status (set by elizardbreath): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Shemchin from Plano, Texas USA on Sunday, December 06, 2009

Amazon Editorial Review:

In Tinsel, Hank Stuever searches out the most outlandish cultural excesses as well as the secret beauties of modern America s half-trillion-dollar Christmas holiday. When Stuever's narrative begins, he s standing in line with the people waiting to purchase flat-screen TVs at Best Buy on Black Friday. From there he follows Tammy Parnell, the proprietor of 'Two Elves with a Twist,' a company that decorates other people s houses for Christmas; Jeff and Bridgett Trykoski, owners of that one house every town has with Christmas decorations visible from space; and single mother Caroll Cavazos, who hopes that the life-affirming moments of Christmas might overcome the struggles of the rest of the year. Steuver's portraits are at once humane, heartfelt, revealing and very, very funny.

Journal Entry 2 by Shemchin at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 24, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (11/20/2014 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Sent to my partner in the US/Canada Secret Santa Exchange set up by Miss Cyn - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, December 27, 2014

Thank you so much for this and all the other books included in my Secret Santa package! I'm thrilled! I do enjoy nonfiction, especially if it's about Christmas.

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 23, 2018

This was a very interesting and- at times- fun(ny) read, mostly about the excesses of an American Christmas. I particularly enjoyed it for a couple of reasons.

First, my dad who – full disclosure - suffered from several episodes of debilitating depression during his lifetime, adored Christmas and would always be happiest during the holiday season. His childlike enthusiasm was contagious and I love the holiday largely due to him. We were not a family of excess: for financial reasons (and thrift) our Christmases were quite simple, much more so than that of my friends. So I always felt somewhat deprived in terms of material items, but it didn’t detract from my love of Christmas.

Then, for many years I was in a relationship with a man whose family – though also not well-off – were generous beyond my wildest dreams. For me it was an 180 degree turn from the Christmases of my childhood and in material terms I became very spoiled (and pretty out of touch with the true spirit of Christmas).

Now I’m back to enjoying simplicity. Presents are not important, especially as we age. Having close friends and relatives (my parents are long gone) to spend time with is what it’s all about: lunches, tree-lightings, or simply going out for coffee.

I do admit, I *love* extravagant light displays and will travel miles to see the best ones. That is one of the biggest joys of the season for me.

As to the book, I enjoyed Stuever’s writing style and humor, and it was fun to “meet” the people with whom he spent so much time – especially Tammie, the professional home decorator. Of course, reading about the crazy light displays was also one of my favorite parts. This book takes place during Christmas of 2006, not long before the real estate bubble broke and recession set in. Stuever does go back a couple of times and sees people losing their homes and others cutting back on holiday spending.
-------------------------------------
Reserved for booklady331's Nonfiction VBB.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 05, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (2/5/2018 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to elizardbreath via booklady331's Nonfiction VBB. Hope you enjoy it!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Friday, February 09, 2018

Thanks so much! I think this will be a fun read!