The Wave

by Morton Rhue | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 11/28/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, November 28, 2009
"Laurie isn't sure what to make of 'The Wave'. It had begun as a simple history experiment to liven up their World War II studies and had become a craze that was taking over their lives. Laurie's classmates were changing from normal teenagers into chanting, saluting fanatics. 'The Wave' was sweeping through the school - and it was out of control. Laurie's friends scoff at her warnings but she knows she must make them see what they have become before it's too late. This book is based on a nightmarish true episode in a Californian high school." (amazon)

The Wave is a 1981 young adult novel by Todd Strasser under the pen name Morton Rhue. It is a novelization of a teleplay by Johnny Dawkins for the movie The Wave, a fictionalized account of the "Third Wave" teaching experiment by Ron Jones that took place in a Cubberley High School history class in Palo Alto, California. The novel by Strasser won the 1981 Massachusetts Book Award for Children's/Young Adult literature.
The setting of the book is Gordon High School in 1969. The plot of the book revolves around a history teacher (Mr. Ben Ross), his high school students, and an experiment he conducts in an attempt to teach them about how it may have been living in Nazi Germany. Unsatisfied with his own inability to answer his students' earnest questions of how and why, Mr Ross initiates the experiment in hopes that it answers the question of why the Germans allowed Adolf Hitler and the genocidal Nazi Party to rise to power, acting in a manner inconsistent with their own pre-existing moral values...

The Wave (original: Die Welle) is a German film based on the book The Wave which was inspired by the social experiment The Third Wave. The remake was quite successful in German cinemas, and after 10 weeks 2.3 million people had watched the film. The film was directed by Dennis Gansel and starred Jürgen Vogel, Max Riemelt, Jennifer Ulrich, Jacob Matschenz and Frederick Lau.

(Wikipedia)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, November 28, 2009
Int'l Bookray:
- Chickxsy, Norway
- ChrissyHam, NL (ship EU)
- EmgeeNL, NL (ship EU)
- Vekiki, UK (ship UK/EU)
- Jujuks, Portugal
- silvia-pco, Portugal (ship EU, intl if necessary)
- UnwrittenLibra, US, ship int'l
- sarkiegirl, US
- nattabee, US (ship int'l)
- innae, US = end of ray

The usual:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- Please try to finish it within a month
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make release notes to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book to the next person on the list
- Last person: would you ray it forward?
If delayed make sure to let us know so that the ray will not stop

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Saturday, December 5, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Travelling to Chickxsy!

Journal Entry 4 by Chickxsy from Grorud bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Got it by mail today, thanks ApoloniaX! Will read it and pass it on to the next as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 5 by Chickxsy from Grorud bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Very interesting book. Seen the movie, now read the book. Will be sending to Chrissyham when I get the address.

Journal Entry 6 by Chickxsy at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Shipping to ChrissyHam!

Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 7 by ChrissyHam from Bristol, not specified not specified on Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Received in the post from Chickxsy today - thanks! Will read it as soon as possible and get it off on its journey to the next reader

Journal Entry 8 by ChrissyHam from Bristol, not specified not specified on Saturday, February 6, 2010
Very short, quick to read little book. The actual subject is really interesting, and it was good to find out more about 'the wave experiment'. However, I really didn't like the style of writing, which felt like it was written by a school student.

Journal Entry 9 by ChrissyHam at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Saturday, February 6, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (2/6/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

In the post to EmgeeNL

Journal Entry 10 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, February 10, 2010
The book arrived and goes on my MTBR for now. I will make a new journal entry as soon as I start reading the book.

There wasn't really time to make a JE to let everyone know that I was reading the book since it took me only a day to read. It's an interesting story to read especially since it is based on true events. The only thing that bothers me is that the book makes it sound as if the historians didn't know why the Nazi's got so many followers. If I remember my highschool history classes correctly we did talk about the why and the teacher could also give explanations for it. This part kept me a bit sidetracked at the beginning of the story, but other than that I found it an interesting book to read.

Journal Entry 11 by EmgeeNL at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/21/2010 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The book is on it's way to the next reader

Journal Entry 12 by Vekiki from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2010
Well, this arrived this morning and I read the whole thing on my train journey into work!

An interesting story, I was intrigued by how The Wave experiment worked. I quite liked the matter of fact storytelling... but I agree with EmgeeNL, certainly when we studied WW2 we looked at various factors allowing the rise of the Nazi party, including things like the economic/political state of the country, propaganda, terror tactics, and also at how some people saw the rise happening & fought it or refugged to other countries and tried to spread the word. We in England seem to forget how far our countries leaders let things go before stepping in, and questions still exist about how much was known by politicians at the time, and also the role that things like the Treaty of Versallies played.
I'll PM to get the book moving on asap... thankyou so much for sharing.

Released 11 yrs ago (4/22/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Well, I decided not to post this immediatly that I got he next persons address, as they are in Portugal and there were no planes carrying Airmail out of the UK because of the Volcanic Ash...
Anyway, planes are starting to run now so I posted it, although I expect it may take a little longer than usual as their will be a backlog of airmail to be dealt with and their are still limited flights going out

Journal Entry 14 by Jujuks at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, June 9, 2010
This book arrived last friday. I'll read it as soon as possible but I've still got a few books to read before this one.

Journal Entry 15 by Jujuks at Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, July 26, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book as the Nazis and the WW2 were always my favourite topic in history. I was very interested in the whole wave movement and as a teenager I can see how that would be appealing to some of us.

Journal Entry 16 by Jujuks at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, July 29, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (7/29/2010 UTC) at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal

On its way to silvia-pco.

Journal Entry 17 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Friday, August 13, 2010
I'm sorry for not journalling this earlier, but I've been quite busy at work lately and haven't had time even to think ;) This arrived a few days ago, safe and sound.

Journal Entry 18 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, August 15, 2010
This sure was a quick book to read. I managed to finish it in a few hours, something that hadn't happened lately.

It is a very interesting book, engaging and also frightening - knowing that this is based in a true story only adds to that feeling. You never think you could be influenced in such a deep way as these students were... as the German people were.
I was, as other readers, a bit surprised to see how the book gives the idea that no one knows which factors led the Nazis to have so many followers. That is a subject that is always talked about in History classes. However, I think that what the author meant was that no one can fully understand how powerful the Nazis could be when it came to persuading the German people... you can't now how it is unless you are caught in the middle of something like it.

After signing up for this ring I found out that it was made into a movie... I'm curious to see how it turned out.
Thanks for sharing, ApoloniaX! I already PMed UnwrittenLibra and will pass this on ASAP.

Journal Entry 19 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Saturday, August 21, 2010
The book's already on its way to UnwrittenLibra. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by UnwrittenLibra at Baltimore, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 12, 2010
Received and read several days ago - a little book that really packs an alarming punch.

Journal Entry 21 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Sunday, October 3, 2010
Got it! Should go quickly, since it's so short! We'll see!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 22 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Sunday, November 14, 2010
I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that I have had the book for this long! If I can't finish it this weekend, I'm sending it on anyway. It's been a busy month! So sorry!

Journal Entry 23 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Friday, January 14, 2011
Well, I suck at this. I am not one to normally hoard and hold onto books for this long, and such a short one at that!!! So, I really apologize. I sent it out yesterday, so I'm going to do release notes.

I really liked the premise of the book, more than the actual book. The writing wasn't great, but it held my attention. It's interesting to know that this actually happened, and I think it's similar to prison "experiments." When you give humans power, they generally take it...most of them anyway.
Thanks for sharing, and sorry that I have been stalling it for so long!

Journal Entry 24 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Friday, January 14, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/13/2011 UTC) at La Quinta, California USA

Sent to Nattabee~! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by rem_SGW-360761 at Madisonville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, January 23, 2011
The book is here, safe in Kentucky! I will get to it soon. Thanks for letting me participate.

Journal Entry 26 by rem_SGW-360761 at Madisonville, Kentucky USA on Monday, March 14, 2011
I liked this quick read....it's surprising to me that this actually happened....amazing that the students did not pick up on what Mr. Ross was trying to do from the very beginning. It's a good reminder too, that as a society we have to remember the events of WWII so that history will not be doomed to repeat itself.
I didn't mind the writing as much as some of the others...reminded me of the style of books I used to read in high school.

Will pm the next in line...

Journal Entry 27 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2011
The book has made it to Colorado!! It looks like I am the end of the ray, so I will try to get it read before the convention in April, and bring it with me, to pass on to more bookcrossers :-)

Thanks to ApoloniaX for starting this ring, to everyone who kept it moving, and to nattabee for the gifties (bookmarks, and blank notes) that came with the book.

Happy Reading!!

Journal Entry 28 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Thursday, April 7, 2011
I read this in two sittings. It would have been only one, but I started it after returning home from a trip, and I was tired. I finished it the next day. A powerful story about group mind-set...how easy it is to get taken over by the group. The teacher who started the idea (which became an experiment, not sure he wanted it to go that way) got caught up in the mind-set just like his high-school students did.

A well told story that was an easy read on one count, and very difficult on another. It can happen again.

(saving to take with me to DC next week)

Left on the "for Bookcrossers" book buffet

BCinDC convention celebrating 10 years of Bookcrossing!!

**********************************************************************************************

Congratulations!! You have found a rare and unique gift, a travelling book!!

While it is possible I have read and given my thoughts on this book, it is more likely it is a book I found/purchased specifically to send out into the world! In either case, please read what has been said before, where has this book been, who enjoyed it, who didn't -- and perhaps, if you care to, you can add your two cents!

You do not have to join bookcrossing to pick up, enjoy, and journal a book -- however, if you do decide to join us, please consider using me (innae) as your recommending friend, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a personal message (for more info, check out the FAQ).

And again, thank you for saving this book from a life of boredom!

**************************************************************************

Journal Entry 30 by wingMelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2011
This was left on the BookCrossers-only book buffet at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention in Washington, DC. I plan to continue its journey via bookray or RABCK.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/11/2011 UTC) at Soho Tea & Coffee (Dupont Circle) in Washington, District of Columbia USA

Brought this to the BCinDC meetup. It did not come home with me.

Journal Entry 32 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
I picked this one up at the BCinDC Meetup in Washington, D.C., this weekend.

Journal Entry 33 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, June 17, 2011
I read this one very quickly. It's an interesting story, and thought-provoking, especially since it's based on a true incident.

High school students learning about the rise of Hitler wonder why the German people went along with his agenda. In order to show the teens in a tangible way how something like this could happen, their history teacher begins an experiment. He starts a movement -- first in his senior history class but then throughout the school -- that makes students feel that they're part of a group, with unity and discipline as its goals. When the group begans to put pressure on those who choose not to join, the experiment spirals out of control. In the end, students realize how easy it is to get pulled in when a charismatic leader makes people feel included and important.

It's interesting that many of the Europeans who journaled this book didn't understand why the students hadn't already learned how this happened in Nazi Germany. But this book is set in the United States, which is also where the original high school experiment took place. I don't remember much explanation at all in my world history classes here in the U.S. about why the German people didn't do more to stop Hitler. So that part seems completely believable to me. I don't think we get as complete a view of the war in high school classes on this side of the Atlantic.

The one thing that kept bugging me about this book was that it's just not very well written. I would have liked a chance to rewrite this one.

Who wants this one next?

Journal Entry 34 by authorauthor at Kings Park Library in Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 18, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (6/18/2011 UTC) at Kings Park Library in Burke, Virginia USA

On the book buffet table at the BC post-convention party.

Journal Entry 35 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 3, 2017
Apparently, this one came home with me at the end of the post-convention volunteer party!

I read a copy of this I bought at a library book sale, because I remember my BookCrossing friend, ResQgeek, speaking well of it at a book festival. After finishing it, I discovered a copy of this book has been on my BookCrossing bookcase UNJOURNALED for years now! Oh no! I'm glad to have finally read it so I can pass it on.

This is a novelization of a teleplay based on a short story based on a real event. I'm sure somewhere in there details got excluded or overdramatized. But I certainly don't have any trouble believing some version of this did in fact take place in a high school (knowing so well the way students behave and feel). To watch these confused and vulnerable students get swept up into a group proporting to make them better and do good things for others and then to have that snowball into something less than healthy certainly makes it easier to understand how the Hitler Youth gained such popularity. Society gets dangerous when people stop questioning; I'm just glad the teacher was able to stop it before this social experiment got even further out of control, in this case.

I felt the writing was a little simplistic and didn't really get to the core of emotions for each of the characters--teacher or students. I would also have liked more points of view, such as that of Robert Billings (who changed so dramatically and had others' opinions about him change as well) or of the students who get victimized by members of The Wave, not because the story needed it but because it would be nice to get into their heads as well.

I did enjoy the book, and it gave me a lot to think about.

Journal Entry 36 by wingKateKintailwing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 29, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (6/29/2017 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Taking this to a BCinDC meetup!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 37 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, June 30, 2017
I saw this at last night's BC-in-DC meeting and picked it up to read. I think I know this story from a movie adaptation, but the premise intrigues me. I was warned that this book is not well written, but it has the benefit of being short, so I'll give it a try.

Journal Entry 38 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, July 21, 2017
I had never read this book before, but I remember seeing the made-for-TV movie that was based on this story. I think I saw that movie when I was about the age of the students in this book, and I had some of the same questions about Nazi Germany. This story was the beginning of my journey towards understanding the complexities of human behavior that make such horror possible.

This story is supposed to be based on a true story, but even if it was entirely fictional, it would serve as a powerful cautionary tale of the dangers of blind allegiance to a group. Given the current state of our politics, I can't help but think that this book should be more widely available and read.

This is a short book and a quick read, but I found it jarring to be reading a story about American students at an American high school saying things that reflect British usage. The first was a reference to the queues in the cafeteria...American students would use the word "line" rather than queue. But what really bothered me was the repeated use of "stones" for the weight of the football players, since I don't know of any Americans who would use this measurement. The author clearly did some research, since most of the football references rang true, so it seems strange that this difference in usage was overlooked.

But minor grammar usage issues aside, this is a quick, easy read that highlights some of the darker sides of human behavior, providing a reminder of the importance of remaining vigilant about how we interact with others to be sure we don't blindly follow the herd.

Journal Entry 39 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 19, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (8/19/2017 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I'm not sure if there are still any BC-in-DC members who haven't read this that might be interested, but this will be available at today's get together.

Journal Entry 40 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, November 8, 2017
I'd forgotten that I read this one back in 2011, and journaled it then. Read it again recently, after picking it up at a Bookcrossing event.