Mother's Milk

by Edward St Aubyn | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Jozebedee of Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on 11/27/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 27, 2009
The once illustrious, once wealthy Melroses are in peril. Caught up in the wreckage of broken promises, child-rearing, adultery and assisted suicide, Patrick finds his wife consumed by motherhood, his mother consumed by a New Age Foundation, and his five-year-old son Robert understanding far more than he ought.

'Mother's Milk' is a dazzling exploration of the troubled allegiances between parents and children, husbands and wives: acerbically witty, disarmingly tender, it goes to the core of a family trapped in the remains of its ever-present past.

Sending out as a 1001 bookring

Originalmulli UK Int'l
Icila FR Int'l
sintra GER EU
benschu GER Int'l <---book is here
Back home to me please :)

Released 9 yrs ago (1/22/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Starting this ring off with kingfan30!
I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think of this before I get to read it.

Journal Entry 3 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 25, 2010
Book arrived Saturday but only just got to the computer! Have just finished a book so will get straight on to this one after work.

1 Feb 10 - I did not really click with this book. I liked the fact the parts were from the perspective of the different characters, and it did make me smile on occasion, most memorable being the chat about nursery rhymes being changed to be politically correct! However I found the first part from the point of view of Robert very odd, does a five year old really think like that, I don't have kids so maybe not the best person to comment. The husband needed a big kick up the bum and not sure about the mother, maybe again as I have not had children I could not understand the bond between her and the new baby, although I have never struggled with this in the past.

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, February 04, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/4/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

On it's way to Caroley, thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 5 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, February 05, 2010
Received today thanks!

I've got two bookrings in front of this one, but they're only thin books so I should get to this one fairly soon.

Journal Entry 6 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 09, 2010
I really enjoyed this one. I can't quite put my finger on what it was that captured my imagination but the way it was written just fascinated me. I loved the viewpoints of the two children, I found all the characters interesting and I liked the way the book ended.

Thanks for sharing this one Jo, I'm really glad to have had the chance to read it.

I'd already PMd Shovelmonkey1 for an address so I'm just about to run down to the post box and send the book on its way. Gotta love online postage.

Journal Entry 7 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/9/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class to Shovelmonkey1

Journal Entry 8 by shovelmonkey1 from Penge, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 15, 2010
Received today, thanks! Will put to the top of the pile and get through it as soon as i can.

Journal Entry 9 by shovelmonkey1 from Penge, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 26, 2010
I really enjoyed this book and it actually made me laugh out loud in some places. Robert was my favourite character and his observations from a childs point of view were brilliant. Patrick was a combination of darkly comic and slightly sulky which also amused me. Overall a good read with some excellent observations about the interactions between the generations. I would recommend this book!

Now heading off on its journey to originalmulli who is next on the reading list.
Thanks to jozebedee for including me in this bookring - another 1001 book ticked off the list!

Released 9 yrs ago (2/27/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off on its travels to the next participant in this book ring. Hope you enjoy it and thanks for your patience!

Journal Entry 11 by Originalmulli from Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, March 11, 2010
Argghhhh I keep forgetting to journal this! Sorry to Shovelmonkey if you were worrying about it! It arrived on Saturday just as we were leaving for the weekend so it went straight in my bag to take with us and I just keep forgetting that I haven't journalled it. I'm in as far as the father's perspective but I think it's one of those I'll need to reserve judgement on until the end. Hoping it will grow on me as it goes on!

Journal Entry 12 by Originalmulli from Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 28, 2010
It's hard to say what I think of this...I did enjoy it and I found it quite hard to put down, but I just didn't think it was particularly good!! Is that a terrible thing to say when it was so highly acclaimed??!? Maybe I had too high expectations because of that, but there was just nothing particularly profound or unique that stood out to me. And I thought the sentence near the end about there always being more meaning than we can lay our hands on seemed to me to be an attempt to embue the whole thing with more depth than it actually had.

I found the relationship between Patrick and his mother interesting, although he was so self-obsessed! The chapter from Mary's viewpoint was the most believable to me. And I really enjoyed the final chapter; Thomas's trains of thought did make me laugh. Thanks to Jozebedee for the opportunity to read this.

I've already got Icila's address so it will be on its way tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/29/2010 UTC) at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom

off to France!

Journal Entry 14 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, April 04, 2010
Arrived safe friday. Thanks !

Journal Entry 15 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, April 07, 2010
I really enjoyed it. It made me laugh, it got on my nerves like the familly waves of life.

Thanks for sharing.

PMing sintra.

Journal Entry 16 by sintra from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, April 14, 2010
The book arrived today and will be read after my current bookring. Thanks a lot! :-)

Journal Entry 17 by benschu at Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Sunday, June 06, 2010
Thanks, got it.

The book should travel home, I didn't find the time to read it, sorry.
Asked for address.

Journal Entry 18 by benschu at Morningside, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/18/2011 UTC) at Morningside, Scotland United Kingdom

On the way back home to 'mum'

Journal Entry 19 by Jozebedee at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 01, 2011
Returned home to be read - thanks Benschu!