corner corner So Many Books, So Little Time

So Many Books, So Little Time
by Sara Nelson | Nonfiction
Registered by wingethereawing of Little Rock, Arkansas USA on 11/22/2009

status (set by book_drunkard): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingethereawing from Little Rock, Arkansas USA on Sunday, November 22, 2009

The title sounds like the story of my life. I really liked this one. It's as much about her life over a year's time as it is about the books that she read that year.
From the inside flap of this hardcover:
In early 2002, Sara Nelson-editor, reporter, reviewer, mother, daughter, wife, and compulsive reader-set out to chronicle a year's worth of reading, to explore how the world of books and words intermingled with children, marriage, friends, and the rest of the "real" world. She had a system all set up: fifty-two weeks, fifty-two books . . . and it all fell apart the first week. That's when she discovered that books chose her as much as she chose them, and the rewards and frustrations they brought were nothing she could plan for: "In reading, as in life, even if you know what you're doing, you really kind of don't."

From Solzhenitsyn to Laura Zigman, Catherine M. to Captain Underpants, this is the captivating result. It is a personal memoir filled with wit, charm, insight, infectious enthusiasm-and observations on everything from Public Books (the ones we pretend we're reading), lending trauma and the idiosyncrasies of sex scenes ("The mingling of bodies and emotions and fluids is one thing. But reading about it: now that's personal") to revenge books, hype, the stresses of recommendation (What does it mean when someone you like hates the book you love?), the odd reasons we pick up a book in the first place, and how to put it down if we don't like it ("The literary equivalent of a bar mitzvah, the moment at which you look at yourself and announce: Today I am an adult."). Throughout, So Many Books, So Little Time is pure delight-a work at once funny, wise, and rueful: enough to make a passionate reader out of anybody.

Journal Entry 2 by wingethereawing at Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 26, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (2/26/2010 UTC) at Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

I'm putting this in Trekwoman's Never Been Crossed bookbox. Hope it finds a new reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingheartthumperwing from Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Friday, March 26, 2010

Chosen from the Never Been Boxed Book Box. I've always wanted the chance to read this.

Journal Entry 4 by wingheartthumperwing at BOOK BOX in -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Friday, September 10, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/10/2010 UTC) at BOOK BOX in -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA

Most of the books she read in that year, I'd never heard of. Added to Ctychic's Pot Luck Book Box.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Selected this one from Ctychic's Potluck Book Box, thanks for including it! As a active Bookcrosser how can I resist a book with a title like this? It's my life motto :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookstogivewing at Osgood, Indiana USA on Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (7/17/2018 UTC) at Osgood, Indiana USA

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 7 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Friday, July 20, 2018

Received today.
Thank you, very much, for tagging me with this wishlist book!