SONGS OF OURSELVES-WALT WHITMAN AND THE DAWN OF MODERN AMERICAN POETRY

by KAREN KAERBIENER | Audiobooks |
Registered by rannie of Eatonton, Georgia USA on 11/18/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rannie from Eatonton, Georgia USA on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
"A university course taught by Karen Karbiener (who) examines the poet's life, work, and legacy."

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, March 28, 2010
Arrived in my CD only bookbox. I will keep it in the box as this is its first round in the box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, May 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/18/2010 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Starting the journey of round 4 of my CD only bookbox. Trust this book finds a new listener.

Journal Entry 4 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, July 02, 2010
Pulled this out of an audio book box; looks pretty interesting -- hopefully I'll get to it soon.

Journal Entry 5 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, March 04, 2011
This author is absolutely amazing - a very complete scholarly study of Whitman; it made me aware of all the diverse groups of people he has influenced.
I had also forgotten that the publication of the first edition of Leaves of Grass was exactly one century before my birth.

Will release this in the next audiobookbox that comes my way......

Journal Entry 6 by BigJohnLefty at Audiobook Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/22/2011 UTC) at Audiobook Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

It's time to set this one free -- enjoy! Putting this into indygo88's CD-only audiobookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, December 31, 2011
Arrived home in my audio bookbox. I hate to admit it, but I know for a fact that something like this would put me to sleep (sorry!). But previous readers seem to have enjoyed it, so I'm sure others would too.

Journal Entry 8 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012
Passing along in booklady331's audio bookbox....

Journal Entry 9 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2012
This sounds interesting. I'll keep it.

Journal Entry 10 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Monday, June 11, 2012
Started listening yesterday.

Journal Entry 11 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Finished back on June 24th.

I have never been a fan of Whitman's poetry. I didn't like him when we were forced to read excerpts of "Song of Myself" back in junior year English class, and subsequent (brief) encounters with the poet did little to change my opinion. But he's clearly an important figure in American poetry, so I even though I dislike him I thought I should at least understand his role in American culture, so I listened to this series of lectures for enlightenment.

Karen Kaerbiener is clearly very enamored with her subject, and brings passion to every lecture. She clearly knew her subject well and had spent a lot of time considering his oeuvre. I'm not sure I agreed with her on all of her connections between Whitman and later poets like Langston Hughes and Allen Ginsberg. Some of the influences of Whitman she cited really seemed like they could have been coincidences, nothing more. (But to be fair, many of the poets she mentioned I like even less than Whitman, so it could have been a general lack of interest in her subject matter that made me feel like an ornery and argumentative student.)

It was rather interesting to note that nearly all the poets mentioned were either reputed to be have homosexual inclinations if they weren't completely out of the closet. I can't say I really thought about the sexuality of these poets before, since of course teachers don't select the really racy poems for high school analysis. But I'd always thought there were more straight poets in all these movements...

Anyway, while the series of lectures didn't make me any more of a Whitman fan than before (his pretty phrases don't strike me as interesting, sorry!) it did at least provide a context through which I can appreciate his space in the American imagination.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2013
This book has made a short stop at my house. It will continue on its journey until it finds its new home.

Journal Entry 13 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Monday, January 06, 2014
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in the Audio Bookbox!

Journal Entry 14 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, June 14, 2014
This is one of six "survivors" that made it to me after postal gremlins played mischief with BigJohnLefty's Audio Bookbox. :-( I haven't decided whether to listen to this one or pass it along. I will, however, make sure that this continues its journey one way or another.

Journal Entry 15 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, August 30, 2014
I'm not a big poetry fan and at first I was just going to set this one off to the side, to be sent on a journey later. But then I decided to step out of my zone of usual reading preferences and give Songs of Ourselves a listen. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the lessons on Walt Whitman as presented by Karen Karbeiner. It wasn't some dull lecture series but, instead, an interesting look into Walt Whitman's life, the influences, and experiences that inspired him to create a new style of American Poetry. In the latter part of the book, the author also described how Whitman's work stimulated following generations of writers, poets, and even artists such as abstract expressionist Jackson Pollack.

Journal Entry 16 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/25/2015 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

booklady331, you are just suppose to listen to this audiobook. It has passed through your hands or ended up in your bookbox more than once. I hope you enjoy it. I know I found it interesting. Anyway, my kind husband is going to drop this off at the post office today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, April 06, 2015
The book has arrive back to me. imawinn2 is right. It looks like I am supposed to listen to this book so I will take the hint and listen.

Journal Entry 18 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, February 19, 2018
Since this lecture series came to me for the third time, I decided I was to listen to it. The professor Karen Karbiener was really good. I enjoyed her voice and insight. I have nothing to add to the previous journalers. I am not a big fan of poetry and only read Whitman when I had to either for a class or part of the English classes I teach.

Reserved for BigJohnLefty Audio VBB

Journal Entry 19 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (3/15/2019 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! KTM book off to JudySlump612 for Oh, The Places We Can Go Release Challenge 2019 -- Song, Ghana

Journal Entry 20 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019
Arrived safely in Minneapolis today. Like many previous listeners, I'm not too receptive to poetry, but I look forward to this chance to improve my background in American writers.