Reading in Bed

by Sue Gee | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingvioloncellixwing of on 11/18/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingvioloncellixwing from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
This book was a surprise present from Stitchgrrl. Thank you so much!

From the back cover: "Friends since university, with busy working lives behind them, Dido and Georgia have long been looking forward to carefree days of books and conversation, when each finds herself caught up in unexpected domestic drama. Dido, for the first time, has cause to question her marriage; widowed Georgia feels certain her husband will return to her. Meanwhile, an eccentric country cousin goes wildly off the rails, children are unhappy in love, and perfect health is all at once in question."

The cover of the book seems to promise a light chicklit type book. This turned out not to be the case; there are some heavy themes such as grief over the death of a loved husband; unhappy relationships between partners and between mother and daughter. Still, the style was light, with a dry kind of humor. I liked the book quite a lot, it was fun to read a bit of it every day during my stay in Warsaw, and I was even moved a bit at the end.

Most of the protagonists of this book (except Georgia's dyslexic daughter Chloe) really like reading in bed. A few quotes follow below; I used them in the Bookcrosser's game Discuss the Quote, see http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/6/6539662.

-I wish you'd join our reading group, says Ruth.
-I'm honoured, says Georgia, spearing a potato speckled with fresh dill. [...] Isn't your reading group very select?
-Oh, very. That's why we'd be honoured to have you. I'm serious-we've just lost a member. Ruth takes a sip of wine. -It was all rather difficult, really.
-Because?
-She didn't do the reading.
A pleasantly ironic laugh engulfs the table; ironic little tut-tut-tuts ensue. But there's a seriousness too, as Ruth continues, for everyone here understands what's what: you commit, you do your stuff. You read. No one wants flaky people making excuses-about anything.
-Anyway, she says- in the end I lost my cool and told her it wasn't on. I mean, everyone's really busy, and yet we all managed it. It's only a book a month.

And here about Henry, Georgia's late husband:

When Henry died- the book completed, and indeed unpublished- Georgia left everything in his study exactly the same as it was. She tidied up, brushed away cat hairs and dusted, but she did not change a thing. His specs were on the left of the computer, his mug on the right. His jacket hung on the door. The heaps of paper illuminating long-gone colonial days- notes, drafts one and two- lay in their labelled folders. The last book Henry had read up there still was on his desk, marked by a slip of paper. Georgia, mournfully tidying, picked it up: a Penguin Classic from the seventies, the black spine cracked from rereading, the pages yellowed. Left to himself, away from the review pages, and her own urgings, Henry chose to spend what reading time he had in the company of the masters. Often- as in Spain, as on countless holidays- the Russians.
And in illness?
Tolstoy had accompanied him into hospital and come home again. Wordsworth had been who he wanted near the end. Somewhere in between: this.
Gorky. My childhood.

Journal Entry 2 by wingvioloncellixwing at Złote Tarasy in Warszawa, Mazowieckie Poland on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/21/2009 UTC) at Złote Tarasy in Warszawa, Mazowieckie Poland

This book has been set free in the huge shopping mall Złote Tarasy. You can find the exact location of the book by using the map of the second floor given at http://www.zlotetarasy.pl/plan/2 . The book is located in 228 on the map, in the home furnishing shop Almi Decor. When coming into this shop, you keep right, finding a bedroom with a double bed. Behind this bed are two nice Chinese-style wooden cupboards. Open the door of the left one, and find the book at the bottom on the right, in the back.
The book's title is 'Reading in bed', and you may try this out immediately after finding the book. Happy hunting! And happy reading in bed.

On http://www.domoklik.pl/kalejdoskop/1089/pod-falujacym-dachem--zlote-tarasy-w-warszawie-.html you can make a virtual tour of Złote Tarasy, which is quite impressive.

Dear finder,
Welcome!
If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. This may be done anonymously and, of course, in the language of your preference, for example Polish or English.

Bardzo dziękuję! / Thank you very much!
Srdecznie pozdrawiam / Best wishes,
violoncellix (from The Netherlands)

Journal Entry 3 by wingkoekiebakwing from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, November 21, 2009
Yes!!!! The book was still there, waiting for us to come and get it :-D
Thank you so much, Violoncellix!
It wil probably travel to Gdansk with Mr. K. in a few weeks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkoekiebakwing at In front of the Dutch Consulaat in Gdańsk, Pomorskie Poland on Monday, December 07, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/2/2009 UTC) at In front of the Dutch Consulaat in Gdańsk, Pomorskie Poland

Left it in front of the entrance of the Dutch Consulaat