Fear and Loathing in Las Vagas (BOOKRAY)

by Hunter S. Thompson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kangu of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 6/19/2003
Journal Entry 1 by kangu from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 19, 2003
am reading now before I send off... as Ive decided to ray it!!
;-)

Kymberlie / Houston Texas US
Lennonchick78 / Missouri USA
Spikesmom / Pennsylvania USA
spaceystacey / new jersey USA

Journal Entry 2 by snootchy from Mackay, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, July 16, 2003
Fear and loathing arrived in the post this morning. Will start it on the weekend and then get back to y'all! :)

Journal Entry 3 by snootchy from Mackay, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, July 22, 2003
I really enjoyed this book, very wacky!! Now it's off to Hawkette.

Journal Entry 4 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 27, 2003
Has arrived at my door, with a group of other books. I will read shortly, and pass it along as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 5 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 17, 2003
The things you can scam and the drugs to be had in Vegas!! Quite funny, and disturbing.
I will mail this one out tomorrow, so it can continue it's journey.

Journal Entry 6 by Leanne345 from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, August 23, 2003
Just got this to read today, will get reading asap - thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by Leanne345 from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, September 13, 2003
I will be sending this on today - i enjoy it loads - what mad adventures you can have with drugs!

Journal Entry 8 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, September 17, 2003
got it today, and i'm quite curious... thanks, leanne345!

Journal Entry 9 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, October 30, 2003
what an insane wee book! i had a few laughs, and found it quite edgy at times. however, i couldn't help feeling a bit far away from it - the drug scene has changed so much since the early seventies, and i've never been to vegas... but madness should be international... as well as fun, of course :)

Journal Entry 10 by letra on Wednesday, December 03, 2003
It's with me, at last! I'll try to read it and pass it on as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing :)

Journal Entry 11 by letra on Monday, January 19, 2004
Fear and Loathing... will continue its journey today. I totally agree with mfa's review of this book. I'm sure this was a must read when it was first published but things have changed... Better than the movie, though.

Thanks Kangu for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, January 27, 2004
I've received this one some days ago but have only been able to journal today. I have 3 other bulky bookring books in front of it so it might take several days before I can't get to it but since it seems to be a *light* book I probably will finish it up quickly.

Thank you Letra for sending me this one.

Journal Entry 13 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, February 06, 2004
For the record I read this book as a work of fiction in it's entirety not as an autobiographical work of sorts. That said I enjoyed it greatly and laughed out loud throughout most of the book, just picturing the comical scenes and unconceivable dialogs. The book read like a movie with pungent smells and sounds. The author depicts a downward spiral into hallucinogenic madness and frankly I was half expecting some sort of tragic outcome due to the uncontrolled behavior of both protagonists.
I reckon that it if I were to believe this was the true account of events I'd simply feel somewhat bored and uncaring toward what a couple of middle-age junkies did in Vegas. It's all so irrelevant and repetitive and insipid. It's the sort of conduct that doesn't unleash neither awe nor disgust, envy nor hate.
The author's shrewdness makes up for the lack of substance, and despite the shallowness of the characters you can't really make yourself despise them ... there is boldness in their carriage (drug induced blondness at that!) and you get swept away in their wind-whirl voyage to disaster.

Journal Entry 14 by joaninha from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, February 09, 2004
Thanks Eva.
I'm allways stumbling into drug adict-writters...

Journal Entry 15 by Aquina from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 30, 2004
Still fun, but lost its edge and is somewhat dated.
Thank you for sharing it,Kangu!

Journal Entry 16 by Aquina from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 04, 2005
Sending it to Kimberlie as soon as I have her address

On its way to Kymberlie