The Palace of Illusions: A Novel

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNancyNovawing of Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on 11/14/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, November 14, 2009
Bought as a thankyou wishlist rabck for ibis3

Journal Entry 2 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 07, 2010
Tried to read 3 times - read another of this author's books in between and was finally able to read it the third try. Set in India in 3 BC, with Panchaali as the protagonist, it tells her story from birth to death along with her trials, both externally and self-inflicted along the way. There's a lot of mysticism and magic - and that just has to be taken at face value, along with the blurring of lines between good and evil, fate and predestiny, and the gods vs. the living's lifetime, plus the whole idea of reincarnation. Wonderful story, but definitely needs to be read slowly and savored.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/1/2010 UTC) at Newcastle, Ontario Canada

A thank you wishlist book. Also for the 52/52, smhamn's, reduce Mt TBR and the "the" challenges. Enjoy - and thank you for keeping SIY going!

Warning - read some of this author's other works first - then this will make more sense.

Journal Entry 4 by Ibis3 at Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 22, 2010
Lovely surprise RABCK (+ bookmarks and labels)! Thanks so much nancynova. I'm sure this will come up as an SIY pick sometime down the road. :)

I was first introduced to the Mahabharata back when I was in highschool (one of my good friends was Indian and she loaned me some comics based on the sagas, and later some English novel-length translations). I enjoyed Peter Cook's dramatisation, and in later years saw most of the TV serial (I'd still like to see the rest!!). Many, many times, I thought the same as Divakaruni: that the women, though strong characters were rather superficially treated and that taking the point of view of one or more of them would make a great premise for a novel. When I heard of this novel it went straight on my wishlist. Luckily, I have the background knowledge so I hope I won't be totally lost.