Lost Daughter of Happiness

by Geling Yan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingsoffitta1wing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 11/11/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
From Bookmooch for the 1010 Challenge. To be read and passed on through the Asian VBB.

I picked this book up at the wrong time, I was meant to be preparing my presentations for uni, and here it was, a major distraction! This is a book that grabs you from the first, a strange book, almost breathless as it has no chapter breaks. What we have here is a portrait of China Town in San Francisco, battles between the Chinese immigrants and the white residents in the 1860s, through the life of Fusang.
The story of Fusang, a hard girl to describe, is married to a man who has gone to the Gold Mountain, and one day leaves to join him with a group of people traffickers. As I said, she is hard to describe, she is docile with her captors, even, later, with her johns, just giving them an enigmatic smile. She is bought at an auction by a gangster, which moves her up in the ranks. Fusang is seemingly unaffected by the men who come to her, though there is one she can't forget, the young Chris. It is their relationship that will be the main focus of the book.
What makes this book different to many others, is that the narrator is a a modern day woman trying to piece together Fusang's life and her relationship with Chris and she can't keep herself from the story.

Selected from the Asian VBB and sent on 09/02.

Journal Entry 2 by Tsjara from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, February 11, 2010
Wow that was quick! Thank you very much soffitta1 for sending the book. Sounds interesting, looking forward to read it :)

Journal Entry 3 by Tsjara from Zaandam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 13, 2010
I finished reading this book a couple of days ago.

This was quite a strange read, especially the bits with the storyteller/researcher sort of talking to the main character (Fusang).. and Fusang was quite mysterious herself, not sure what to think of her.. (is she fooling everyone or was she just simple-minded?). Not sure what to think of Chris either.. but it was quite a tragic sort of story (especially the end, I wished they had recognized each other).
The way the people lived and how the whites and Chinese treated each other, quite scary actually, all that hatred and racism.. (even though it still exists today - and as the storyteller puts it: Why?..). It was an interesting story, and it reads easily too, so I had a hard time putting it down :)

Now reserved for the Two Worlds International VBB round 2, hosted by loveamystery.
Chosen by Dancesports, so this will be mailed out sometime soon ^-^

Journal Entry 4 by Tsjara at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/27/2010 UTC) at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Now on its way to Australia..

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Monday, May 10, 2010
The book has arrived safely. I am looking forward to reading this one which I selected from the Two Worlds VBB.