The Steampunk Trilogy

by PAUL DI FILIPPO | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by rockyhorror1978 of St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on 11/10/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 10, 2009
"Queen Victoria as a trollop-in-training whose newt-human clone serves as stand-in during Victoria's trysts? Walt Whitman as lusty seducer of an only partly reticent Emily Dickinson who loses the "Keys to the Inner Chambers of her Heart" to him? This fine and funny madness is "steampunk," a branch of cyberpunk fiction that locates itself in historical venues rather than in the future. Paul Di Filippo has certainly done his homework: the settings as well as the language emulate the times and, in Dickinson's and Whitman's cases, their poetic language, which asserts itself into their conversational dialogue and thoughts at most unusual but appropriate moments. Dickinson's "Universe Entire" is disrupted by a naked Whitman bathing in her rain barrel and singing his "body electric." But will Dickinson's "White Election" remain intact?"

Journal Entry 2 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 24, 2010
I have just finished The Steampunk Trilogy, a collection of three novellas set in the steampunk theme. After the first story, I wasn't sure if I liked "hardcore" steampunk, after reading the fantastical stories of China Mieville; however, I found as I went through the novellas I enjoyed them more. Plucked out of history, each of the characters based on real people throughout history are faced with the monstrous science of steampunk. Quite humourous and entertaining, each of the novella maintained the zeitgeist of each character while adding bizarre twists. Admittedly, my favorite was the final novella, Walt and Emily. I think I still enjoy China Mieville's depiction of steampunk society, but I am glad to have given this book a try.

I will pass this book on to anathema-device after she has moved! She is free to keep it or pass it on to any other interested readers.

Journal Entry 3 by rockyhorror1978 at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Friday, August 20, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (8/20/2010 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

Being sent to Anathema-Device, another fan of Steampunk fiction. Enjoy and feel free to pass on to another steampunk fan or release into the wild! :)

UPDATE: Mailed 15 November 2010. Please pardon the tardiness. I got a bit behind on my mailing! :)

"Anyway -- because we are readers, we don't have to wait for some communications executive to decide what we should think about next -- and how we should think about it. We can fill our heads with anything from aardvarks to zucchinis -- at any time of night or day."
— Kurt Vonnegut

Journal Entry 4 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Found this in my mailbox today. Thank you so much, rockyhorror1978! I'm sure this book will be a lovely treat. I'm currently waiting for a bookring to arrive, which has priority since I don't want to keep the next readers waiting, but I'm putting this where I can see it, so I can pick it up at the right moment. :)

Journal Entry 5 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, March 6, 2011
Currently making my way through the second part, "Hottentots", during the last days of my sick leave. I can't shake the feeling that I ought to enjoy this more. You're absolutely right, rockyhorror1978 - we might have been "spoiled" a bit by China Miéville's amazing Bas Lag trilogy. As much as I used to enjoy (comparatively more superficial, more self-parodying) classical steampunk, now it feels increasingly whimsical to me (quote from page 93: Charles Girard, trained zoologist, was gutting a perch while wearing a gutta-percha apron). Still, the thought of Queen Victoria being replaced with a genetically modified newt was quite a funny one. I'm curious as to what the second and third tale will have in store for me.

ETA: My favourite word from this book so far: lucubratory.

Journal Entry 6 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, August 7, 2011
Finally finished this book today. I was pleasantly surprised by the way "Hottentots" progressed - I'd recognized the first direct allusions to Lovecraft, and I was happy to watch all the pieces fit into place; in the end even the racist, elitist scientist had his proper place in the plot. "Walt and Emily" was fun too, even if the bits of poetry were a bit much for me after some time. In the end I must say, yes, this is a fun and entertaining book, but still, I wish it was more than that. Right now I prefer stories that make their readers do some work of their own, and maybe even change their perception of the world. (That's not to say that a bit of pure old fantasy every now and then is a bad thing.)
I think I know a Bookcrosser who might want to take a look at this. :)

Journal Entry 7 by anathema-device at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Monday, October 10, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (10/10/2011 UTC) at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria

Sent to Secundus. Hope you'll like it.
(And a very happy belated birthday to you!)

This book is participating in the 2011 TICK TOCK Release Challenge.