Hell Phone

by William Sleator | Teens |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 11/5/2009
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, November 05, 2009
Book Description:

A murder story with a devilish twist.

Nick wants a cell phone so he can talk to his girlfriend, Jen, after school, but he doesn't have a lot of money. The used phone he buys seems like a bargain, until the phone calls begin--strangers calling night and day, some begging for help, others making demands. Nick wants to get rid of the phone, but something prevents him, and, soon he finds himself committing crimes--stealing, conning . . .and killing.

Fans of William Sleator's The Boy Who Couldn't Die will enjoy this equally diabolical thriller. (For Teens/Young Adults)

I bought this at the dollar store. I've never heard of this author, but it just looked interesting.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010
This is a great teen horror book! Very suspenseful. I haven't read anything by this author before, but I will have to look for more books by him.

Reserved for a Teen Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, March 07, 2011

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, April 02, 2011
Taking this out of KiaraNala29's YA/Teen box.

Why? Because I remember reading Sleator's House of Stairs, probably some time in the late '70s; I might have read it twice. It was quite creepy, and I've never forgotten the central concept. In fact, reading the very detailed summary on Wikipedia (probably TMI if you're planning to read the book) brought back a lot of the story, and I remember that my paperback had the same cover shown in the Wikipedia entry.

(I don't think I've read any other books by Sleator, yet I remembered his name and the title of the book. Yeah, it stuck in my brain pretty well.)

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2011
So-so. I remember liking House of Stairs better...but that was a long time ago. If I re-read it now, I don't know what I'd think.

This one is more like a horror movie where the audience wants to shout "don't do that" at the characters but they do the things that will get them into trouble anyway.

Reserved for release at the Hawaii Book and Music Festival.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/14/2011 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!