Eat Pray Love; One Woman's Search for Everything

by Elizabeth Gilbert | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by lucy-lemon of Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on 11/2/2009
Journal Entry 1 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, November 2, 2009
Hmmm. This is one of those books that everyone seems to have read, and they either hate it or love it. At least, that's what it seems to be with the people I know. I have tried with this book, I really have (I've started reading it twice) but I just can't force myself past 50 pages. I think mostly it's because of my irrational hatred for Gilbert's narration. I'm sure other people will enjoy it more than I did, and I'm fed up of it looking reproachfully at me from the shelf, so it's on its way out of the house!

Journal Entry 2 by Cinderess on Friday, November 13, 2009
Thanks for sending this book. I have high hopes, even after hearing you hated it, because an aussie friend loved it and raved on and on about going to India to an ashram in the future.

Lucy-lemon did you notice the curious writing in the back of the book (on one of the pages)?

I'll have to read the book and see if the above ties in with something...

Journal Entry 3 by Cinderess on Saturday, December 26, 2009
I see why this has become a bestseller. I like the style of writing and snappy pace. I admitedly did skim a few pages where she explains some of the philosophies when she was in India, but that's going to happen for those not so interested in the religious detail.

Gilbert manages to describe her feeligns without it becoming too much of a pity feast, seriousness is alleviated by her abiltiy to laugh at herself.

I'm not sure you'd really 'get' the book unless you've experienced some disillusionment and relationship troubles. It must have been a hit because so many women, and let's face it this is a women's book, can identify with some of Gilbert's feelings.

Amusing number of celebs recomendations on the covers!

Journal Entry 4 by Cinderess on Saturday, January 2, 2010
I've combined my bookring with Sobergirl's as she has had her copy go MIA.

Bearyfriend, Singapore
Libresco67, Belgium
Justmesam , The Netherlands
sing-on-a-star, UK

Back to Cinderess, UK

Journal Entry 5 by Cinderess at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Singapore on Monday, January 4, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (1/9/2010 UTC) at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Singapore

I hope you all enjoy this book. Feel free to write notes at the back. I plan to reread the book when it comes back to me at the end of the bookring.

(NB: Posted 15.1.10 due to snow disruption)

Journal Entry 6 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Book arrived today, thanks for sharing your copy. Fingers crossed, hope the other one will surface up soon too.

Journal Entry 7 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Still reading, but have pm'd Gillg for an address. Hope to send it off before Chinese New Year.

Feb-19: Book is travelling to Gillg. Didn't finish reading, too much religious & philosophical talk. Just couldn't get into it, like reading Paulo Coelho's & Robin Sharma's kind of stuff. But thankfully Coelho's books are usually quite thin. Anything thicker and drones on and on about philosophical stuff is definitely going to put me off. Perhaps I'm just not into motivational or self-help type of books. Hope other readers will enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 8 by gillg from South Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Recieved today from Singapore- thanks

Journal Entry 9 by gillg at Bookmooch.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 3, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (5/3/2010 UTC) at Bookmooch.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Sent on to Karen- sorry about the release thing to a fellow bookmoocher- messed that bit up!
I hope you enjoy it Karen, I meant to send it when I was visiting London last month but hadnt finished it by the day we left. I know many people have loved this book- I was approached a couple of times when on the plane and in a cafe by strangers who had, but I didn't. To me it was very self-indulgent, a lot like Rita Goldman-Gelmans book, The Female Nomad.

Journal Entry 10 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, May 8, 2010
my turn number 2 on tbr, thanks for posting over

Uh oh. Picked it up, started reading and then realised it's one I'd already attempted (because it was an attempt not a success I didn't write it down)

As with others yoga and philosop was overdone in it for me and also although I know it's autobiographical it's too self-obsessed if that makes sense.

Thanks for sharing though and I will post on as soon as I have the address

Journal Entry 11 by kbmarsh from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 13, 2010
Arrived this morning, looking forward to reading it :-)

Journal Entry 12 by kbmarsh at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, July 5, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (7/5/2010 UTC) at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

Off to Belgium now!

Journal Entry 13 by libresco67 at on Thursday, July 15, 2010
Thanks Lucy, received it about a week ago, I'm reading it now.
Thanks again

Journal Entry 14 by Cinderess at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 23, 2010
libresco67 has been in touch and will be sending this book to sing-on-a-star asap

Journal Entry 15 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Thanks for the book

Journal Entry 16 by Cinderess at Exchange/Trade, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 12, 2015
This book has come back smelling gorgeous! Even the plastic postal envelope smells of perfume. I found myself flicking the pages of the book underneath my nose, trying to work out the smell. Perfume from being in a room where it's sprayed? Hair spray? Against a magazine in the postal bag that is covered with perfume samples?!

I'm planning to reread this sometime after recently watching the film again.

Journal Entry 17 by TaxManager at Market Rasen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 26, 2017
I've heard so much about this but am not sure it will be "my type of thing". I am collecting together some books to take on holiday though so thought I would add this one into the mix!

Journal Entry 18 by TaxManager at Market Rasen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 3, 2017
I'm with Lucy Lemon on this. I made it to page 63 by saying I'd do a chapter a night. Then thought, if it is like homework, why bother!

I know lots of people have found it helpful and obviously whatever she did worked for her but I found I didn't care.

Journal Entry 19 by TaxManager at Warners Norton Grange in Yarmouth, Isle Of Wight United Kingdom on Sunday, August 13, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (8/10/2017 UTC) at Warners Norton Grange in Yarmouth, Isle Of Wight United Kingdom

Left on the bookshelf in the Waterfront Bar.

Welcome to Book Crossing! If you are new please take a look around and consider joining book crossing - it is free and confidential and it is great fun following the progress of your books.

Please name TaxManager as your referrer.

Don't forget to do another journal when you have read the book and also when, hopefully, you re-release it.