Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

by Roald Dahl | Children's Books |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 11/2/2009
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 02, 2009
I never understood people's enthousiasm for Willy Wonka and his chocolate factory. Yes, I like Dahl's stories, love some of them, even, and I like eating chocolate as much as most other people (I know some who don't and still think them a bit weird because of that). However, compared to some of his other books, the story feels trite, and I just can't stand that disgusting, arrogant Wonka. (Suffice to say, I did not see the movie. Then again, I'm not a fan of Depp's, either.)

This book was a present of my mum's when I was maybe about thirteen or so. I kinda liked Charlie (and felt for his predicament, even though it's nauseatingly cliché) and of course I adored Grandpa Joe, but from the moment they enter the factory it all goes downhill.

But then even as a kid I had trouble with fairy tales like "The Frog Prince" or "King Thrushbeard" whenever I felt the characters were acting unnecessarily mean, or that the punishment was completely disproportionate to the crime, not that I could have described my discomfort like that as a kid. (Note that I was not averse to violence, if justified: the witch in "Hansel and Grethel" completely had it coming for her, as did the wolf in the "Seven Young Kids".)

Besides, I rather prefer Dahl's adult stories, such as Lamb to the Slaughter or Stairway to Heaven.

As always, Blake's illustrations are utterly delightful.

EDIT: Released on November 9th, 2009 at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
For some reason the release note has disappeared on me, but the book is definitely in the wild.