Rabbit, Run (Penguin Modern Classics)

by John Updike | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Beqi of Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on 10/30/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Beqi from Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 30, 2009
Product Description
It’s 1959 and Harry ‘Rabbit’ Angstrom, one time high school sports superstar, is going nowhere. At twenty-six he is trapped in a second-rate existence - stuck with a fragile, alcoholic wife, a house full of overflowing ashtrays and discarded glasses, a young son and a futile job. With no way to fix things, he resolves to flee from his family and his home in Pennsylvania, beginning a thousand-mile journey that he hopes will free him from his mediocre life. Because, as he knows only too well, ‘after you’ve been first-rate at something, no matter what, it kind of takes the kick out of being second-rate’.

I bought this for ekranda, as it's on her wishlist. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 2 by Beqi at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, December 04, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This is a birthday pressie RABCK for Ekranda. Happy Birthday to you,Emily, and hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by Paws4Books from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, December 21, 2009
Thank you for my Birthday book!!! I plan to take it with me to Kent just in case i finish the book i am currently reading whilst i'm there. it looks like a very interesting read to me...going by the cover Thank you Becky! x

Journal Entry 4 by Paws4Books from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 03, 2010
This was a book that really drew me in...it follows Rabbit's current life - going from being almost famous for being a great athlete at high school to selling kitchen gadgets and generally not getting enough from life....so one night he gets in the car and just keeps going....

This was a very involved read and contained issues i'd never have imagined at the beginning of the book....well worth being one of the 1001 books to read before you die! Thanks Becky for getting it for me i really enjoyed it!!! I also have two other books following on from this one each taking place a decade later and following Rabbit's life..i'm seriously considering starting off a spiral for them and tracking down the forth book once i've read the other two books!

Journal Entry 5 by Paws4Books from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, March 15, 2010
I am setting up an international spiral for these Rabbit books, so far i have the following interested.

Cally-C (UK)
NMReader (USA)
Chiboiler (USA)
angela861 (USA)
fushmush, (Australia)

Journal Entry 6 by Paws4Books at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/31/2010 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the first person on the spiral, please try to keep this book for no more than 2 months - other than that - enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by cally-c from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2010
Whoops! I've just finished reading this & hadn't realised that I hadn't 'caught' it when it arrived.
Anyway, I have really enjoyed reading this. It's quite a 'sleazy' story, but the characters are great & I love the descriptive passages, such as when Rabbit is talking about the garden he's being paid to tend.
Thanks for including me in this ekranda.
I'll PM NMReader & get this in the post as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 8 by cally-c at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/13/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to NMReader, via surface mail

Journal Entry 9 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 23, 2010
Arrived yesterday and was kindly rescued from rain by my neighbor.

Journal Entry 10 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, June 28, 2010
I thought an update on the book might be appreciated.

I am having a hard time getting into this book and find myself picking up other books instead. I am going to try and buckle down and read more steadily to see if this helps me get into it. I am presently at the point where I think he is deciding to drive out of town

July 6: I am about 50pages into the book or about 1/6 of the way through the book. He has slept at his old coach's place. I have made this my elliptical trainer book and hope to bulldoze through the book byt his means.

July 9: I have reached the halfway point - thank goodness. I know you probably don't want to hear it again but I am still not getting into this book. The Episcopal and Lutheran minister are talking.

July 10: Every time I took a break from cleaning and unpacking I would read this for 15 minutes. I am making progress and an looking sooo forward to finishing this book

July 11: I am so close to finishing. I do not plan to sleep until it is done.

Journal Entry 11 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 13, 2010
I did not really enjoy this book. I am not sure why. It might be because I was nnot empathetic with Janice, Rabbit, or their parents.

I found the most rewarding part of this book to read the Afterward by the author.

Journal Entry 12 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/14/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I dropped this book at the post office on my way home from work.

Delivery Confirmation Number: 0309 3220 0001 8482 2529

Journal Entry 13 by ChiBoiler at Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Started reading this book on the train to work this morning. Seems like a quick read. Thanks for sending this on - I had forgotten all about this one!

Journal Entry 14 by ChiBoiler at Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Finished this book a week ago. Sorry for the late journal. It was a quick read, although I was surprised how unlikeable the characters were - Rabbit, his wife, his lady friend, etc. Interesting that there is an entire series of books about Rabbit - he doesn't seem to have a bright future ahead of him. (The concept seems interesting, though - I think the books take place every ten years)

Ekranda, I have the fourth book if you have not found it yet. Let me know - I can send it to you and you can include it in the spiral.

Journal Entry 15 by angela861 at Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, August 15, 2010
ChiBoiler passed this one to me today while we were watching the Air & Water show. I'll read it next and have it traveling soon. Thanks for adding me!

Journal Entry 16 by angela861 at Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, September 07, 2010
It took me a long time to get into this book. What a mess. I found it hard to like any of the characters. Wonder what Rabbit will be up to in the next book.

Thanks for sharing! I've sent a PM to the next person and will have it in the mail soon.

Journal Entry 17 by angela861 at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/14/2010 UTC) at Sydney, New South Wales Australia

Off to the next reader...

Journal Entry 18 by fushmush at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 14, 2010
This has arrived. Thanks for sharing.