Austerlitz

by Winfried Georg Sebald, Anthea Bell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Neuilly of Brooklyn, New York USA on 10/26/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, October 26, 2009
Part of my college reading, I remember really enjoying this novel. Since it is part of the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list, I have decided to turn this into a bookring.

Participants are as follows:

cat207 (Australia -> Australia pref) - Finished!
davemurray101 (Australia -> Int'l)- Finished!
Sherlockfan (NZ -> Int'l) - Finished!
Benschu (Germany -> Int'l)<---- Here!
EmgeeNL (Netherlands -> EU)
kingfan30 (UK -> EU)
Danielle23 (UK -> UK/EU)
Jozebedee (Uk -> ?)
brunton11 (UK -> Int'l)

Rules:

1) Please journal when you receive a book so we know it's safe an sound.
2) Try to finish the book within a month. If you find yourself nearing the deadline but would like more time that can be accommodated please just make sure to make another update and PM me so that everyone knows the book isn't stalled.
3) When finished, or almost finished, please PM the next in line to get their address and then mail it on. If there is no reply please wait a few days and try again. If there are persistent problems please PM me.
4) Please journal your thoughts on the book! Good or bad, short or long, all is appreciated!

And in general if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM!

Journal Entry 2 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you Neuilly. X

Journal Entry 3 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, November 21, 2009
Definitely an unusual book. No "speech", no paragraphs, and the 'she said, so he told me' became jarring after a while. I was amazed that we get nearly half way through the book before we start on Austerlitz's history. A haunting novel - one that will stay with me for a long time.

Thank you Neuilly for sharing this book. I'll get it into the mail to Dave on Monday. X

Journal Entry 4 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Thanks to Cat207 and Neuilly for sharing this book with me.. I will get on to this one ASAP.

Journal Entry 5 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, November 25, 2009
I finished this book in one sitting. I think/hope that is what the author intended. A single narrative, as Cat said without dialogue and in first person. The pictures helped break apart the story and for a few seconds you could get a visual fix on what he was talking about. The book overall reminded me of Iain Sinclair's work, particularly London Orbital and Whitechapel-Scarlet tracings. One of the more unusual 1001 books I have read in a while. Sending PM to Sherlockfan to find out where the next stop for this book is.

Journal Entry 6 by davemurray101 at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 30, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/30/2009 UTC) at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Posted over the tasman to Sherlockfan .

Journal Entry 7 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, December 05, 2009
Well that was a very fast trip across the Tasman. I have a couple of bookrings ahead so it may be a wee bit before I get onto this but will try my utmost not to keep it too long.
At first glance it looks most interesting. Love the lad on the cover.
Thanks to those who've gone before on this list. Participating in Bookrings is my favourite form of bookcrossing - after conventions!

Journal Entry 8 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 09, 2010
I didn't particularly enjoy this book. Not sure really how anyone would "enjoy" it.
This is not the first time I've read a book from the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" list and not found them to my taste. Never mind. I'll keep being attracted by the possibility that something will gel with me.
I'll post it off to Benschu this week.

Journal Entry 9 by Sherlockfan at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/10/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posting off to benschu today, using one of the special BC book posting packets that came in an order this week. They are great.

Journal Entry 10 by benschu from München, Bayern Germany on Monday, February 08, 2010
Thanks, got it. Thanks for the card.

It has been here to long, so it will travel unread.
EmgeeNL likes to be skipped.
Asked for next address.

Journal Entry 11 by benschu at Cowcaddens, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 30, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/31/2011 UTC) at Cowcaddens, Scotland United Kingdom

The book is traveling again.

Journal Entry 12 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 20, 2011
Book has arrived safe and sound. I have a couple to read before this one but it should not take too long. Thanks for sharing.

10 July 11 - I have to say I my heart sank when I realised this was by the same author as The Rings of Saturn which was a book I did not really enjoy at all. But I signed up for it as a book ring so give it a go I must. I do find the lack of chapters or even paragraphs a bit of a bind as it makes it difficult to find a convenient point to put the book down, however I did manage to read it over the weekend so it can't have been too bad. There was actually a story line to this book which made it easier to read than the other one, but I was a bit surprised that the main part (the tracing of the family history) did not start until nearly half way through.

Journal Entry 13 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2011 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

On it's way to the next Danielle23

Journal Entry 14 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2011
The book is now here safely and I will get to it sometime this week, thank you xx

Journal Entry 15 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, July 14, 2011
Having a week off work I managed to sit and read this book in one sitting. I'm pleased I had that opportunity as the lack of chapters, and even paragraphs, made me hesitant to put it down and I believe I would have also been hesitant to pick it back up. Nevertheless I enjoyed the book once I got through the beginning part and got used to the writing style. The pictures were great for me as they provided solid visual references to the book and a nice way to break up the page.

I always find writing to do with the holocaust really emotional and interesting and this was no exception. He seemed to be haunted by memories he couldn't remember and then by memories he had imagined; tragic really.

This was number 294 for me from the list and it is now reserved for the next in line, thank you xx

Journal Entry 16 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/23/2011 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to Jozebedee, the next in line xx

Journal Entry 17 by Jozebedee at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Received today - thanks Danielle!
Thanks Neuilly - I've been wanting to read this for a long time!