Kristin Lavransdatter

by Sigrid Undset | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Vasha of Ithaca, New York USA on 10/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Vasha from Ithaca, New York USA on Sunday, October 25, 2009
Three volumes in one (The Bridal Wreath, The Mistress of Husaby, The Cross). Translated by Charles Archer (1927).

A landmark among historical novels, Kristin Lavransdatter is part of the body of work that won Sigrid Undset the Nobel Prize for 1928. This trilogy of more than one thousand pages follows its title character through her life in fourteenth-century Scandinavia. It is a novel full of big and dramatic happenings: romantic intrigues, political schemes, and spiritual debates. It is also a novel about one woman's life. Sigrid Undset makes us understand Kristin's love for her sons and husband, the feeling of milk in her breasts, and the hard work of living in the fourteenth century. As does any good historical novel, Kristin Lavransdatter immerses us in its time through rich details concerning dress and manners as well as social and historical events. The multitude of character names is confusing at first, but if you stick with it, Sigrid Undset will give you a first-hand experience of another world. — From 500 Great Books by Women; review by Erica Bauermeister

Released 9 yrs ago (1/19/2010 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent to svoight, who has more shelf space than I do.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, January 25, 2010
Received this 1001-Library book to free up shelf space for another member. The book is Available for check out for any Library member!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookstogivewing at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Sunday, June 05, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (6/5/2011 UTC) at Phoenix, Arizona USA

Released to a fellow 1001-Library member, enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Received in the mail from bookstogive of Springville, Tennessee. Thank you for mailing this book to me.

I have already read this trilogy. It is currently available to any member of the 1001-library who would like to read it.

Journal Entry 6 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2019
This book is being removed from the 1001-library. I am planning a cross-country move and I am reducing the number of books in my possession. I did read all three of these books decades ago. Being half-Norwegian, although born in America, I was interested in learning about the country of my forebears. I must admit that I found it all very perplexing to me. My father also read the books at the same time as me, he of 100 per cent Norwegian heritage and had a hard time identifying with Kristin's character. (Well, he is a man.)

This book was left in the Little Free Library. It was released for the Never Judge A Book by its Cover release challenge. (Green cover for St. Patrick's Day)