The White Queen

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by L1nda of Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on 10/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by L1nda from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 22, 2009
The White Queen tells the story of a woman of extraordinary beauty and ambition who, catching the eye of the newly crowned boy king, marries him in secret and ascends to royalty. While Elizabeth rises to the demands of her exalted position and fights for the success of her family, her two sons become central figures in a mystery that has confounded historians for centuries: the missing princes in the Tower of London whose fate is still unknown. From her uniquely qualified perspective, Philippa Gregory explores this most famous unsolved mystery of English history, informed by impeccable research and framed by her inimitable storytelling skills.

With The White Queen, Philippa Gregory brings the artistry and intellect of a master writer and storyteller to a new era in history and begins what is sure to be another bestselling classic series from this beloved author.

Journal Entry 2 by L1nda from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 22, 2009
I'd like to send this book out as a Bookring PLUS!

The following guidelines will apply:

1. Make a journal entry when the book arrives safely.
2. Please try to read the book within 8 weeks of receiving it
(or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer - taking longer is fine as I know many of us are snowed under by bookrings)
3. When finished, journal your thoughts about the book.
4. PM the next person on the list and send it to them.

And now for the PLUS! bit:

This is a hardcover (635 gram) book so the cheapest way to post it in Australia will be in a 3kg prepaid satchel.

It seems a shame to waste all that extra weight allowance, so I'm going to include extra books with this one when I send it out. When you send this book on you must include at least as many books in the bag as were there when you received it. If none of the extras appealed to you they can be sent to the next person at no additional cost, but if you received something you'd like to read please replace it with a good book (something you'd rate 7/10 or higher)

Participants:

Melanie2474
livrecache
Dancesports
HeatherA

Journal Entry 3 by L1nda from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, October 24, 2009
I loved this book! Philippa Gregory has once again written an historical novel that is full of intrigue and passion intertwining fact and fiction. All history should be learnt this way :-)

I hope the other readers of the ring enjoy this as much as I have

Journal Entry 4 by L1nda at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/26/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On the way to Melanie..... enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, October 30, 2009
Have a couple ahead of this but will get to it soon.

Journal Entry 6 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
A sweeping tale of romance, magic and palace intrigue with a fair dose of history thrown in. I enjoyed Gregory's writing style, though it did tend to the melodramatic at times, and the story is a familiar one for anyone who knows English royal history (or myth!).

This is the first of Gregory's books that I've read, though I've seen the film of The Other Boleyn Girl and have the book waiting to be read. Will definitely be trying some more of hers.

Journal Entry 7 by Melanie2474 at Bookbag, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/11/2009 UTC) at Bookbag, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Bookbag Plus off to livrecache.

Journal Entry 8 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
I've read quite a few of this author's work and she spins a great yarn, and is good with her research. I'm looking forward to reading this. I do have a couple of rings in front of it, and life is bit hectic at the moment, but i'll be as quick as I can. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 9 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, November 29, 2009
I bumped this book up the TBR list as I so wanted to read it. Unfortunately, I've spilt wine on it. It's still fine to read, but L1nda, I've bought you another copy of the book, which I'll send to you when the ring is finished, in case anyone else has any accidents. (The one I've bought is still in its sealed cellophane wrap. I HATE damaging books, and I'm so sorry.)

The story itself was great: I was surprised at where it ended. It's now set up for a sequel. I did my thesis on this part of English history, but the author brings it to life from the woman's point of view.

I'll PM Dancesports now.

Journal Entry 10 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, December 07, 2009
Posting today. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 11 by livrecache at Melbourne, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/7/2009 UTC) at Melbourne, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On its way to another bookcrosser. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 12 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Monday, December 14, 2009
Bookring book and more have arrived.

Journal Entry 13 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this book,once I started reading I couldn't stop, just the way it should be for a good book. Probably not my usual thing, but I am now encourage to read more by this author. The book stayed with me for a few nights after I finished reading it - and I did dream about The White Queen and her lost loved ones.

Journal Entry 14 by Dancesports at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (1/12/2010 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 15 by HeatherA from Corlette, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 18, 2010
The Bookring Plus arrived today, thanks Dancesports. I should have this book started by the end of this week so it should be on it's way home sooner rather than later.

Journal Entry 16 by HeatherA from Corlette, New South Wales Australia on Friday, January 22, 2010
Another well written tale from Philippa Gregory, her ability to blend fact, myth & fiction is incredible & so believable. I couldn't put this down, it had me entralled from the very first page.

Thanks l1nda for running this Bookring Plus, what a great idea. The bag should be with you in a few days.

Journal Entry 17 by L1nda from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 28, 2010
Home safe and sound. Thanks to all who participated.