Almayer's Folly: A Story of an Eastern River (Twentieth Century Classics)

by Joseph Conrad | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Gnoe of Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on 10/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Gnoe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, October 19, 2009
This book will be released at a FOLLY: "[..] a building constructed strictly as a decoration, having none of the usual purposes of housing or sheltering associated with a conventional structure. In the 18th century English gardens and French landscape gardening often featured Roman temples, which symbolized classical virtues or ideals. Other 18th century garden follies represented Chinese temples, Egyptian pyramids, ruined abbeys, or Tatar tents, to represent different continents or historical eras. [..] 'Folly' is used in the sense of fun or light-heartedness, not in the sense of something ill-advised."

Journal Entry 2 by Gnoe at Koepel van Stoop in Woudenberg, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/20/2009 UTC) at Koepel van Stoop in Woudenberg, Utrecht Netherlands

#5 of my 2nd round for the 2009 History Challenge was released at a real folly: Stoop's Pavilion. The tea pavilion faces the near Pyramide of Austerlitz, where I've released a book in my 1st round of the challenge. It was made by the important Dutch architect JD Zocher jr. (also known from my earlier history releases ;)