Shantaram

by Gregory David Roberts | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 10/16/2009
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, October 16, 2009
Amazon Review
Have you ever been browsing in a bookstore, picked up something you liked the look of, read the first page and been unable to leave without buying it? That is how I stumbled across Shantaram, one of the most compelling books I have ever read.
Based on a specific period of the author's life (mainly set in Bombay)it covers everything from philosophy and ethics to underworld crime and war. We follow the author as he establishes a free health clinic in a slum, does time in an Indian jail, and goes to war in Afghanistan. It is hard to feel anything but completely attached to the main characters even when they may act in ways that we may not neccessarily approve of.

At a little over 900 pages it may look like a long hard slog but I promise that from the first page you'll be desperate to keep going. Apparently the film rights have already been sold to Johnny Depp and the author, Gregory David Roberts, is in the process of writing a sequel that continues the story of his life.

An absolutely captivating story - I eagerly await the next installment.