My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran

by Haleh Esfandiari | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Ri of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 10/12/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, October 12, 2009
Amazing, moving and a tremendous memoir! The strength in this woman is truly amazing!

I read this ARC for a review for Armchair Interviews.

Journal Entry 2 by Ri at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/29/2010 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I sent this along to Aceofhearts from the Bio/Memoir Swap. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 15, 2010
received in the mail. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 06, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 22, 2018
Haleh was born in Iran to an Austrian mother. She moved to the USA to teach with her husband and got American citizenship, but returns to Iran frequently to take care of her elderly mom. At the end of her most recent visit, she says good bye to her mom and heads off to the airport when her taxi is run off the road and she is robbed. The robbers take both Haleh's Iranian and American passport plus all of her belongings but don't touch anything of the taxi driver's. As Haleh determines what is required to get new passports re-printed, she soon learns that's the least of her worries. The Intelligence Ministry has decided that Heleh is trying to organize a revolution in Iran and interrogate her. Nothing she says can deter them from these thoughts.

Weeks turn in to months as Heleh answers these questions. The academic work she has done in the USA is very suspicious to the Ministry. They keep asking her the same questions over and over. Heleh has a few contacts that try to help her and she finds out that two factions within the government are in disagreement about her. One wants to let her go, one thinks she's hiding information. The latter wins and Heleh is put in solitary confinement in jail. Her husband, back in the USA, launches a full-fledged media offensive. If the information Heleh is providing isn't enough to get her released, the perhaps pressure from other influential people will.

As Heleh explains what happens to her, some background on Iran's history also needs to be provided to explain how the country got to the point where it's accusing dual citizens of revolution. While this information is helpful and necessary to paint the picture, Heleh provided way too much of it. There was about 35 pages at the beginning of the book describing Heleh's past and Iran's past. It was pretty dry and I found myself skimming.

What happened to Heleh, how she overcame it, and the impact to her family is the meat of this story. It's a shocking story about how an innocent grandmother can be treated.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library - Dixie in Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 06, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (8/6/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library - Dixie in Mississauga, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.