The Earthsea Quartet

by Ursula K. Le Guin | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by WhiteOnes of Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia on 10/5/2009
Journal Entry 1 by WhiteOnes from Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 05, 2009
As a young dragonlord Ged, whose use-name is Sparrowhawk, is sent to the island of Roke to learn the true way of magic. A natural magician, Ged becomes an arch-mage and helps the high priestess Tenar to escape from the labyrinth of darkness. But as the years pass, true magic and ancient ways are forced to submit to the powers of evil and death.

(Comments from Javan) I couldn't get into this book because it's quite fast-paced, which I don't like.

Journal Entry 2 by WhiteOnes at Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 05, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/6/2009 UTC) at Coffs Harbour, New South Wales Australia

This book is going travelling in the Junior Fiction Bookbag

Journal Entry 3 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 15, 2009
I read the first book "A wizard of Earthsea" when I was growing up so maybe it's about time I read the rest of the series! Classic fantasy! Thanx for including it!

Journal Entry 4 by Lisagt at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, July 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2011 UTC) at Sydney, New South Wales Australia

Sending with thanx to PrincessRainbow

Journal Entry 5 by PrincessRainbow at Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Tuesday, July 26, 2011
26 July 2011: The book arrived today and brightened up my grey mood. Thank you very much for sending and trading. I got the book in exchange for "The Alchemy of Murder".

8 January 2013: I finally read the book and liked it very much. The cover fits very well to the 4 stories. The maps at the beginning of every story are very helpful. I especially liked the way of telling the stories - it sounded melodic and enchanted me. I also liked the end of the last story - it is not a typical happy end because too much good and evil things happened but it is an end full of hope and optimistic outlook. The characters touched me very much: in the first instance Ged - naturally because with him the book begins. Tenar touched me too until the end. Therru gets a special place because there is something magical about her. And there are the dragons which fascinated me.

The book contains 4 stories:

1) A Wizard of Earthsea:
A boy grows to manhood while attempting to subdue the evil he unleashed on the world as an apprentice to the Master Wizard.

2) The Tombs of Atuan:
When young Tenar is chosen as high priestess to the ancient and nameless Powers of the Earth, everything is taken away - home, family, possessions, even her name. For she is now Arha, the Eaten One, guardian of the ominous Tombs of Atuan. While she is learning her way through the dark labyrinth, a young wizard, Ged, comes to steal the Tombs' greatest hidden treasure, the Ring of Erreth-Akbe. But Ged also brings with him the light of magic, and together, he and Tenar escape from the darkness that has become her domain.

3) The Farthest Shore:
Darkness threatens to overtake Earthsea. As the world and its wizards are losing their magic, Ged - powerful Archmage, wizard, and dragonlord - embarks on a sailing journey with highborn young prince, Arren. They travel far beyond the realm of death to discover the cause of these evil disturbances and to restore magic to a land desperately thirsty for it.

4) Tehanu:
When Sparrowhawk, the Archmage of Earthsea, returns from the dark land stripped of his magic powers, he finds refuge with the aging widow Tenar and a crippled girl child who carries an unknown destiny.

Journal Entry 6 by PrincessRainbow at Zirl, Tirol Austria on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/4/2014 UTC) at Zirl, Tirol Austria

The book travels in the BookBox "CrimsonAngel's fantastische BuchBox ohne glitzernde Vampire!".

Journal Entry 7 by CrimsonAngel at Offenbach/Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, September 07, 2014
This book came to me in my homecoming BookBox CAFBBOGV!. I already new this one, so it can go on traveling soon.

Journal Entry 8 by CrimsonAngel at BookBox, by hand -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/14/2015 UTC) at BookBox, by hand -- Controlled Releases

This book is now travelling in the BookBox dracessas Drachen-Box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, January 28, 2016
I found this book inside the returned Dragon-Box. I tought that Earthsea was a triology. So I'm suprised to find "Tehanu". That will send this book to my Mt. TBR.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

I'll take the book to the BC-Convetion in Oslo.

Gute Reise, liebes Buch. Lass bei Gelegenheit mal von dir hören!

Journal Entry 11 by viscum at St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, April 24, 2017
Caught it during Bookcrossing Convention in Oslo 2017 :)