The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nediamnori87 of St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/3/2009
Journal Entry 1 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 03, 2009
I wanted to read this book because of all the hype it gets on here and that it looked like an interesting premise. Girl gets murdered and from heaven watches her family and friends cope with her death. It seemed to work up until a point which I'll get into for now. The writing wasn't overwhelmingly brilliant but still the story was nice enough and I was enjoying it. It was interesting to watch the strains on the family as well as her friends and her murderer. This was all well thought out and written....

SPOILERS

UNTIL... The girl falls out of heaven into the body of one of her friends. Rather than answering all the questions that a normal person would want to get off their chest having had this happen i.e. where my body is, whodunnit etc. she has sex. Now I'm not saying that you might not want to do that sort of thing in your last 12 hours on earth but I would have thought there were more pressing matters. I know pretty much everyone had figured out who had murdered her but I would have thought people would have liked to have found the body for closure. I would have. I think this is the frustrating thing with the book she could have told the bf at any point btw my body was thrown into the sink hole in a safe but nope. So that's the ridiculous bit. Also the killer is never found, an icicle falls on him and he gets stabbed and dies miles out of the way which I also found an unsatifactory ending to his existance even if it was related to her perfect murder.

SPOILERS OVER

So overall the book wasn't bad. It's not somthing I'll be rushing to read again anytime soon but at the same time I won't say it's awful. I do want to see the film now as I'm not sure how well it's going to work. As a lot of the stuff seems to be inside her head in heaven it makes me wary to go and see it but I'll give it a go.

I'm now ready to start sending it on as a ray.

Journal Entry 2 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Bookray order

Jonniboi (UK) (UK Preferred EU poss)
dutch-book (NL) (NL Preferred EU poss)
Jujuks (Portugal) (Europe Ship)
ossiefry (Portugal) (No Preference)<---- Book Is Here
alassante (Italy) (No Preference)
zimort (Norway) (Intl)
sothisdhampir (US) (US only)
galleycat (US) (US only)
Moeshell (US) (US only)
ImagineArtMgmt (US) (US only)
clawdette (US) (US only)

Rules:

1. Please only keep the book for 6 weeks, if you need longer PM me
2. When you receive the book journal it and PM the next person for their address
3. Journal the book when you release it

Journal Entry 3 by nediamnori87 at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/14/2009 UTC) at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent to Jonniboi to start the ray.

Journal Entry 4 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 27, 2009
just received must have taken a long time due to the christmas rush! I so cannot wait to read this book, I've already read the first chapter and I'm hooked, I hope it keeps me hooked right to the end!

Journal Entry 5 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 29, 2009
I finished this book, and then looked out the window and it was SNOWING!!!!!!

This was a brilliant book, and I so cannot wait for the film, I'm going to see it at the cinema as soon as possible! I shall send this book out tomorrow (well, that's if the roads are clear and I can get to my nearest post office!)

If I don't then I will send it in a few days!

I thank you very much nediamnori87, for including me in this book and I sure hope that more books by Alice Sebold finds their was to me, as I know this is an author I shall forever be reading off! Thank you

I totally agree with you on your spoilers, especially when she has sex instead of saying her body's in a safe in the sink hole!

RECENT EDIT: just watched the film, and ny good it's amazing, however it's not the same and the book is so much better!

Journal Entry 6 by Jonniboi at Abcoude, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, December 31, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/31/2009 UTC) at Abcoude, Utrecht Netherlands

sent this off to dutch-book. Oh no! Just realised (by mistake) that I've sent it by surface mail, I'm sorry!

Journal Entry 7 by dutch-book from Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, January 21, 2010
The book is here, but I already got a copy of this book! I don't know if I said that to you, Jonniboi. Anyway, will read this book, ofcourse!

Journal Entry 8 by dutch-book from Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, February 26, 2010
I read the book. I liked the idea of the story. Standard but with a twist that makes it original. However the writing I found way too long. Will PM Jujuks.

Journal Entry 9 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 05, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/5/2010 UTC) at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On it's way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 10 by Jujuks on Thursday, March 25, 2010
Sorry, I received this book monday and forget to journal it. I've alrady started reading it though so I won't take too long to finish. Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 11 by Jujuks on Friday, April 09, 2010
While I did enjoy reading this book I didn't find it amazing or anything. Just good.

One of the parts that I did love was near the ending when Susie was with Ray. I loved it when she said: "When you kiss me I see heaven", because what girl doens't wish for that?

I'll try sending the book out today.

Journal Entry 12 by Jujuks at CTT, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal on Monday, April 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/12/2010 UTC) at CTT, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

On its way to ossiefry.

Journal Entry 13 by Ossiefry from Aljezur, Faro Portugal on Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Just recieved the book! Thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by Ossiefry from Aljezur, Faro Portugal on Wednesday, May 05, 2010
Loved the book, and loved the ending!
Will pm the next reader and send it on. :)

Journal Entry 15 by Ossiefry at Palermo, Sicilia Italy on Friday, May 07, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/7/2010 UTC) at Palermo, Sicilia Italy

Book on its way to Italy! Have fun! :)

Journal Entry 16 by alassante from Palermo, Sicilia Italy on Wednesday, May 12, 2010
received, thanks!

I am glad I haven't watched the film yet ^_^

Journal Entry 17 by alassante at Palermo, Sicilia Italy on Friday, July 02, 2010
Like Nediamnori87 and I suppose many other people, I wanted to read this book because of the movie (which I haven't watched...yet)
I am very glad I did, but there were some little things that didn't make me enjoy the book as much as I expected. And these things are more or less what other readers have already pointed out: I sometimes found the characters not exactly believable in their behaviours and personalities -one example is what nediamnori87 referred to, regarding the ending. I too was a bit disappointed that the ending didn't give a satisfaction to the family, regarding the finding of the body and of the murderer. Maybe that's because of the movie trailer, but I believed that was the way the story was going to be headed to.
Another thing that bugged me was the writing: as Dutch-book said, I found it too long, way too long. I might sound blasphemous here, lol, but I believe the movie would do better in this regard.
Anyway, despite what I just wrote, I can say that I did enjoy reading it, and that I found it a very interesting book! :)

I am now going to pm the next reader for the address.

Update July 11th:
I have contacted zimort and she replied immediately, asking to be skipped. I have then tried to contact the bookcrosser next to her, but it's been more than a week now and no reply. As I don't exactly have much experience with this kind of situation, and I wouldn't like to do something that is not considered "correct", I tried to contact the ringmaster too, but no luck with her either.
I will wait a bit more, and if I don't get any sign, I'll try with the next other participant. I hope it's ok to do so...

Journal Entry 18 by alassante at Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/21/2010 UTC) at Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

ok, I contacted the other participants and quite a few asked to be skipped (zimort, galleycat, Moeshell). I haven't been able to get a reply from sothisdhampir, but I hope it's ok if I skipped her too. I am leaving on holiday in a couple of weeks and I have already had this book with me for a while. I suppose she can still get the book at a later phase of the bookring if she's still interested?
For now the book is starting its travel across the ocean, to reach ImagineArtMgmt in the US.
Happy bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 19 by rem_ImagineArtMgmt at Coudersport, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 29, 2010
Received this by mail from jonniboi. I have started to read already, and I find it strangely fascinating.