The Little Prince

by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winglmn60wing of Spotswood, Victoria Australia on 9/29/2009
Journal Entry 1 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, September 29, 2009
This was part of a job-lot of children's books I bought on ebay for release. I have another copy of this one on Mt To-be-read, so hopefully this one will be found and enjoyed by a new reader.

Amazon.com Review...
'Antoine de Saint-Exupéry first published The Little Prince in 1943, only a year before his Lockheed P-38 vanished over the Mediterranean during a reconnaissance mission. More than a half century later, this fable of love and loneliness has lost none of its power. The narrator is a downed pilot in the Sahara Desert, frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane. His efforts are interrupted one day by the apparition of a little, well, prince, who asks him to draw a sheep. "In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don't dare disobey," the narrator recalls. "Absurd as it seemed, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, I took a scrap of paper and a pen out of my pocket." And so begins their dialogue, which stretches the narrator's imagination in all sorts of surprising, childlike directions.
The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too. There's the king, for example, who commands the Little Prince to function as a one-man (or one-boy) judiciary:

I have good reason to believe that there is an old rat living somewhere on my planet. I hear him at night. You could judge that old rat. From time to time you will condemn him to death. That way his life will depend on your justice. But you'll pardon him each time for economy's sake. There's only one rat.

The author pokes similar fun at a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence. Yet his tale is ultimately a tender one--a heartfelt exposition of sadness and solitude, which never turns into Peter Pan-style treacle'

Journal Entry 2 by winglmn60wing at Birdie Num Nums in Carlton North, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 14, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/14/2009 UTC) at Birdie Num Nums in Carlton North, Victoria Australia

Taking to meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by k-j-h from Geelong, Victoria Australia on Monday, November 16, 2009
Picked up at the meetup.
Somehow I have never come across a copy of this before, though I have heard many good things about the book.

Journal Entry 4 by k-j-h at HI-Los Angeles/Santa Monica in Santa Monica, California USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/10/2011 UTC) at HI-Los Angeles/Santa Monica in Santa Monica, California USA

Placed on the bookshelf in the library area.