Songs of the Humpback Whale

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingsoffitta1wing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 9/29/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Picked up with the Times for £2.99. I have been wanting to read this for a while, the first of the author's books.

As with a lot of her books, nothing is black and white. Jane leaves her husband after slapping him, she takes her 15-year-old daughter with her. Jane was abused as a child and worries that she will become like her father. A multi-narrator book, revealing the story piece by piece, I did get drawn into this very quickly.

Offered to replace a stalled bookray.

Update - 23/11
I have Pm'd and sent an email to Bokwormy - wants to be skipped.
Turnpages wants to be skipped as has read the book.
Calallily, too

Finally got a reply from someone who wants to read the book! Bjorg in Iceland. Will PM Ladybug74 about the change in order of the list. This'll be my first time sending a book to Iceland ;) (I did get a reply from Scarlett17 saying she was still interested in reading, but I had already sent the book)

Book has been sent 04/12

Journal Entry 2 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Saturday, November 14, 2009
Thank you so much soffitta1 for offering this book as a replacement for my lost bookray! You are very kind! I hope this copy makes it through the remainder of the list safely so you get a lot of journal entries for your book.

The mailing order is being re-arranged because soffitta1 is in Portugal and asked to mail the book to the participant in Portual. Since I am doing the journal entry with the mailing order, please send a PM to me if you wish to join or be removed from the bookray.

Mailing order:
penelopewanders, Switzerland
Jujuks, Portugal
Kera, UK ---- asked to be skipped
orange-platypus, UK (UK only)<-------book is here
Scarlett17, UK (ship within Europe)
spiderchic, UK (ship anywhere)
kihli, Greece (ship anywhere)
hetku77, Finland (ship anywhere)
MooMoo1977, Australia (within Australia)
Davis59, Australia
olered, OR, USA
judygreeneyes, CA, USA
countedx58, CA, USA
snoopy3, CT, USA (will ship international)
daniellechonody, TX, USA (will ship international)
collectorkerri, IL, USA (ship to US/Canada)
Breeze144, Canada (ship to US/Canada)
kobie03, Canada (ship international)

Last person can keep the book or release it in any way you choose! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Thursday, December 10, 2009
The book arrived today, thanks so much soffitta1:) I will be able to start on it in a day or two:)

Journal Entry 4 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, December 18, 2009
Just finished the book, must say that I´m feeling a bit disappointed, specially towards the end. I really like Jodi Picoult´s books but this was not her best one.

Will send it soon to penelopewanders:)

The book will now travel to Switzerland, hope you will enjoy it penelopewanders:) Merry Christmas:)

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Picoult's first novel arrived here in the Alps today - thanks so much for organizing this ring (and salvaging it when it went astray!) and thanks Bjorg, for sending on. A few rings have rolled in at the same time and I'm actually flat out work-wise these days (not to mention friends joining us for the holidays), so it may be a bit before I can actually find a moment to sit down with this one. I do look forward to it though, as I've enjoyed so many of Picoult's books. Thanks!

(I have a ray going for Keeping Faith if any of you haven't read that yet - let me know if you're interested).

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Her first... Important, interesting themes, but not totally satisfying. For one thing, I found the sort of count down backwards wildly confusing, and kept trying to flip back and figure out what was when, usually unsuccessfully. The end bothered me too - so much destruction, for what? Marriage vows must prevail? Hmm, this might be a bit of a spoiler, but while I don't know what would have been a good resolution to the story, I'm not content with Picoult's choice. Still glad to have read it, of course! Thanks for making it available. I've Pmed for the next address.

Now skidding down the Alps to Lisbon. Enjoy!
Thanks for making this available.

Journal Entry 9 by Jujuks on Thursday, January 28, 2010
This book got here on Monday. Thanks for sending it.

Journal Entry 10 by Jujuks on Wednesday, February 10, 2010
I love Jodi Picoult's books and this one was no exception. I'm glad I got over my dislike for the title and gave it a chance.

Journal Entry 11 by Jujuks at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (2/10/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On it's way to the UK.

Journal Entry 12 by orange-platypus at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
This was a bit of a thin read but ok for the commute to work. Will contact scarlett 17 for address and send it on its way.