The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak | Teens |
Registered by KateKintail of Burke, Virginia USA on 10/14/2017
Journal Entry 1 by KateKintail from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017
Bought this at a library used book sale. I earread this book in 2009 and didn't like it as much as most people. I wonder if I'd read a paper copy if I would have liked it more or less.

My thoughts:
This came so highly recommended that I'm disappointed I didn't love it more. Don't get me wrong! I loved it... but it didn't immediately rock my world or change my life in profound ways the way other books I've read recently have. Maybe it's because I recently read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas which also told about World War II from the perspective of a young, German child. The stories are VERY different, but still I wasn't shocked the way some readers of this book were.

I thought choosing Death to be the narrator was fascinating from a literary standpoint. Almost gimmicky in a way, but written so well that I bought the character immediately. Death wasn't as cold and removed as I'd expected him to be. He has such a respect for humanity and life, which makes total sense if you think about it, but you never forget that he's there-- always there. Chilling.

I liked Liesel and her Papa and Rudy but I still had trouble getting into the book at first. I'm glad I stuck with it through the parts that seemed to drag a little, because as soon as Max came on the scene I was enraptured and HAD to know what happens to them all. Also, it was an interesting look at literature in general. Liesel will read ANYTHING because it's not so much about the content but the act of being able to read and write that's important, I thought. It's the relationship of people's lives with words of so many kinds... and it's those books that connect everyone with everyone else- whether it's learning how to read or being read to while the bombs are dropping or stealing a book with a friend.

It was definitely very good. It didn't change my life or impress me to the immense degrees that other people confess to. But I'm glad I read it and would recommend it to anyone.

Journal Entry 2 by KateKintail at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (10/15/2017 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Taking to a BCinDC meetup, in case someone wants it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by FortHuntLFL at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 19, 2017
Placing in the Little Free Library.

1/24/18 - removed from the LFL for variety.

Released 1 yr ago (4/28/2019 UTC) at Day Of The Book (Street Festival) On Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

Hi! You've picked up a special book. This book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com. Leave a message for those who follow and pick up this book.