Random Acts of Kindness: 365 Ways to Make the World a Nicer Place

Registered by wingBluemchenblattwing of Paris, Ile-de-France France on 9/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingBluemchenblattwing from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, September 24, 2009
Now, at last, the secret to a happier world!
You have the power to make it a nicer place!
All over the planet, thousands of people just like you are performing Random Acts of Kindness for complete strangers...

Journal Entry 2 by wingBluemchenblattwing from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Friday, November 20, 2009
The ideas didn't really surprise me, except for two or three once which I didn't actually like... (Giving a cigar to a someone who just became father strikes me as a no-go.) Overall it is an interesting, but not entirely new, idea and I'd love if the readers who'll follow me could put up their ideas on how to make the world a nicer place...

This is a RING!

One JE on arrival, one with comment and a release note or extra JE when shipping.
The book should be passed on within a reasonable delay.

There's no end to inscriptions as long as the book is travelling within the ring-participants.

Participants
o1.Fremmedordbok (Bergen, Norway - EU)
o2.Meg72 (Ilhavo, Portugal)
o3.BethanyGordon (Doncaster, UK - UK, EU)
o4.shelj7k (Blackrock, Ireland - INT)
o5.prachitulshan (New Delhi, India)
o6.tohweiee (Zhangjiagang, China)
o7.nattabee (Kentucky, US)
o8. Sarkiegirl (California, US - prefers US)
o9. NMReader (Virginia, US - US only)
1o.debnance (Texas, US)
11.hyper7 (Secunda, South Africa - Int)
12.goofbunny (Perth, Australia - prefers Australia)
13. hakkalina (Budapest, Hungary - prefers EU)
14. star69 (Sittingbourne, UK - Int)
15. sing-on-a-star (Manchester, UK - Int)
16. AliceF (Coventry, UK - prefers UK, EU)
17. DEESSE (Erstein, France; has a German address too - Int)
18. polliwog (Washington, US)
19. Jujuks (Lisbon, Portugal - EU)
2o. souram (Genève, Switzerland - INT)
You?

Back to me. => Rather a wild-release.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBluemchenblattwing at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/23/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 4 by Fremmedordbok from Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, November 25, 2009
The book arrived today! A really nice welcome when I got home from a long day preparing for exams tomorrow!

Looking forward to reading about some random acts of kindness after the exams! :D

Thanks for arranging this ring, Bluemchenblatt!

Journal Entry 5 by Fremmedordbok from Bergen, Hordaland fylke Norway on Friday, December 04, 2009
I have now read about loads of nice things to do!
The concept reminded me a bit about Benrik and their diaries, which I have been a part of. I love the idea of pushing oneself to do things you normally wouldn't do, which also brings happiness to others!

PMing for the next participants address, and then the book will move on!

Journal Entry 6 by Fremmedordbok at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/11/2009 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The book is travelling on for the next participant!

Journal Entry 7 by Meg72 from Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Wow, this seems like a fun book to read! Let´s see what I can learn... and put in practice :-)

Journal Entry 8 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/15/2009 UTC) at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal

What a great read! I laughed out loud with some funny suggestions in this book, but the truth is they may really brighten the day of a stranger. To be honest, I found out that I have already done some random acts of kindness, without even knowing. And this makes me feel great :-)
Off to the next bookcrosser...

Journal Entry 9 by BethanyGordon from Leven, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Recieved today. Looks good, my dad also wants to have a look at it, haha :)

Journal Entry 10 by BethanyGordon at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (1/21/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Lots of funny ideas on how to cheer someone up.

Sending it on to the next in the ray :)

Journal Entry 11 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Thank you for this little "ray" of sunshine! It certainly couldn't have arrived at a better time to cheer me up. It was here when I returned from my son's parent/teacher meeting! I am enjoying reading the suggestions in this little volume and I am going to try some of them before I pass the book to the next reader.

Journal Entry 12 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, February 03, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this little book. I think there would be a slight danger of being considered loopy if you did things like running ahead of the street cleaner picking up rubbish, but on the whole there are some lovely ideas to make someone's day brighter. Of course, we bookcrossers know all about the pleasure of passing on random acts of bookcrossing kindness and so the ideas in this book will come naturally!

Thanks again to Bluemchenblatt. I have the next reader's address and I'll be putting this in the post tomorrow. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by shelj7k at By Mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (2/4/2010 UTC) at By Mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On to the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by prachitulshan from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Wednesday, February 10, 2010
I just got back from a ten-day trip home, and saw this waiting for me in the mail. Probably arrived yesterday...thanks shelj7k for passing on! I've flipped through a bit of this book and one random act of kindness I came across was something I did yesterday, another was something someone else did for me, and some looked very similar to our RABCKs out here! Can't wait to read them all! Cheers. :)

Journal Entry 15 by prachitulshan from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Sunday, February 28, 2010
Finished this lil book a while ago, but was waitin for tohweiee's address. Now that I have it, it shall be off tomo!
I read part of this book on the way to a mela (crafts fair) on the outskirts of Delhi two Sundays ago, and my friends also enjoyed flipping through some of the suggestions...there were a few innovative, nice ideas and some others like "Listen to someone's problem without immediately comparing it to one of your own" which are things we already know but we also need to be reminded of em.
After going through all 365 of them though, I must say there's quite a lot of repetition and it would've been nicer had the author actually tried to come up with 365 original ideas or else stuck to a smaller no. but not said the same things again n again. And err, what's with the apples and peanuts? Also, a lot many things apply specifically in the context of the U.K., so say in India, this book would have contained some completely different ideas.
Overall, though, a fun read and there are some ideas I've made a mental note of and will try out! Thanks bluemchenblatt for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by prachitulshan at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/2/2010 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The PO was shut yesterday, so this book was sent off today to the next participant, tohweiee in China! Safe travels, lil book!

Journal Entry 17 by tohweiee from Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on Saturday, March 13, 2010
I received the book yesterday on my way out of the school. Thanks Prachitulshan, for the cards, stickers and labels. I love them all!

I'll try and finish the book within a week and send it off to the next person in the ring at the next weekend. Can't wait to start.

Journal Entry 18 by tohweiee from Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on Monday, March 29, 2010
There are some pretty good ideas in this book, some of which I'd been doing all the while, not knowing it could be considered a random act of kindness. It's nice to know I've been doing some nice things. And I'll definitely try to do more, especially the ones I liked from the book.

I'm sorry for hogging this book. I haven't had time to go to the post office. I will try to send it off soonest possible. Sorry!

Journal Entry 19 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Sunday, April 11, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (4/9/2010 UTC) at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China

After hogging for 3 weeks (sorry!), I've finally managed to release it. The book is now on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 20 by nattabee from Madisonville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, April 22, 2010
The book is safe here in Kentucky! I got this at the beginning of the week, but haven't had time to JE until now. I will get it read soon.

Thank you, tohweiee, for the gifts in the package! I have the magnet on my frig (love getting those kind that are native to a place where you live!), and I am using the postcard (because it's so neat-looking) as my bookmarker. Thanks too, for the actual BookCrossing bookmark. What a lovely package to go along with a book about random acts of kindness. :-)

Journal Entry 21 by nattabee at Madisonville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, June 08, 2010
Loved this little book! Being American, I didn't "get" some of the humor of first, as the terminology is British/UK. The book, however, got funnier as it went along. I loved:
(1) Applaud a lady who's clearly made an effort!
(2) Say "have a nice day" even if you've never been to America
(3) Stand outside a Weight Watcher's meeting and tell them how trim they look.

The book was a hoot, and now I want a copy for myself!!

Sorry that it took so long to read a book that could easily be read in a couple of hours. I've been so busy that I've not had a chance to enjoy any reading, but this was a nice way to get started again.

I will mail out later this week.

Journal Entry 22 by nattabee at La Quinta, California USA on Monday, June 14, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (6/14/2010 UTC) at La Quinta, California USA

Off to the next reader! Sorry that it took so long.

Journal Entry 23 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Monday, June 28, 2010
Yay! It's here! Thank you for letting me join! I have read this book/or one like it before and I loved it! Unfortunately, I have 2 long ones to read before I can get to this and it's sooo short!
Thank you nattabee! You are the cutest! I loved your little gifties! And yes, that is me that wanted the Anne of Green Gables books!
Thanks again! :)

Journal Entry 24 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Friday, July 09, 2010
I feel bad that I had to wait all of that time to read it in one night!! It was very quick because it's such a small book.
I remember reading the American version years ago and loving it. Yes, this one has a lot of "English-isms" but fortunately, I have spent a lil time in England, so I got some of it. I love this book no matter what "language" it's in because it always inspires me to want to do things like this---even though when I've done it in the past, people don't trust you or sometimes look at you funny.
That's why bookcrossing is so great! You can be kind without the weird looks!!!
I'm sending this on today!

Journal Entry 25 by sarkiegirl at La Quinta, California USA on Friday, July 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (7/10/2010 UTC) at La Quinta, California USA

Thanks for letting me join! The one on amazon is out of print, so I guess we are lucky that you are sharing this one!
Sending to nmreader today! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 14, 2010
This book arrived with some RAOK included. I am looking forward to reading but more importantly doing things in this book

Journal Entry 27 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, July 19, 2010
This book arrived with Life's Little Instruction Book and some SARK cards. I loved it.

I think most of us do RAoK without thinking about it but this is a great reminder of more ways to help out. Some of the ideas are funny and some would really brighten the day of the person on the receiving end.

Bluemchenblatt asked for our ideas and I am guessing things we have done to brighten a day.

Some of the things I do:

Let people with fewer items get in front of me at the checkout
Let cars, especially from out of state, get into my lane
buy breakfast, lunch, or dinner for someone else when I eat out (you have to involve the waitress and sometimes the manager)
Leave a huge tip (I have tip 500% of my purchase)
Buy popcorn or candy for people at the theater
Obviously give books away
Leave flowers on the desk of everyone I work with
Leave candy on everyones desk
Bought a Good Humor multipack and took it to work as an afternoon treat
Mailed money to people I knew were struggling
Left money in places for friends to find
Sent thank you notes to people just for being them
Shoveled driveways, washed car, mowed grass, swept sidewalk for neighbors

There are so many little things to brighten someone's day

Journal Entry 28 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, July 19, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (7/19/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

This book will be traveling to TX with two others. I hope they are enjoyed.

I will drop at the PO after work.

Delivery Confirmation #: 0309 1830 0002 4019 8411

Journal Entry 29 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 27, 2010
This little book arrived today! I plan to read it today and then pass it along in the next few days.

Journal Entry 30 by debnance at Post Office - 455 E. House St. in Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/10/2010 UTC) at Post Office - 455 E. House St. in Alvin, Texas USA

Off to a new reader! This book is part of a bookring.

Journal Entry 31 by hakkalina at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Hello Everybody! The book arrived to me yesterday.

Debnance made my day, since she put Moonlight Chronicles which is on my wishlist, and Half Magic a classic children book into the envelope as well!! The book contains 365 tips how to be kind, but this surprise enlarges this line :))

Update: 2010.08.24.
It was a great interesting reads, and I got some new tips, otherwise it made me think how important the kindness is in our life.

Journal Entry 32 by hakkalina at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/24/2010 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

The book is travelling to its next reader! Thanks to share this book with me.

Journal Entry 33 by star69 at Sittingbourne, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, September 02, 2010
Got this in the post this morning thanks.
Enjoyed this little book alot got me thinking about good deeds I can do.

Journal Entry 34 by star69 at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, September 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/17/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

put in post today

Journal Entry 35 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, September 18, 2010
The book arrived today with a lovely act of kindness! Thank you so much star69 for the beautiful bookmark and the very cute hedgehog chocs (I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to eat them!)

Released 9 yrs ago (10/4/2010 UTC) at — Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending along with a little act of kindness......enjoy!

Journal Entry 37 by AliceF at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Gratefully received by post today, along with a little purse and a Lush bubble bar (which is now melting in the bath as I type)!

Thank you!

Journal Entry 38 by AliceF at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, October 28, 2010
Nice book, but some of the suggestions are actually a little sarcastic/unkind. On its way now.

Journal Entry 39 by AliceF at Erstein, Alsace France on Thursday, October 28, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/28/2010 UTC) at Erstein, Alsace France

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 40 by DEESSE at Erstein, Alsace France on Tuesday, November 09, 2010
Found this book waiting for me after a long day - I leaved through it already, "stroked my cat" and my boyfriend gave his colleague a lift (whose car had broken down).

I'm going to copy some of the internet-addresses and normal addresses and read it a bit more thoroughly before I send it on.
I might even get a copy for myself (or more - to do some random acts of kindness) -
and, hey, why not "phone an elderly relative today"?

Thanks, Bluemchenblatt, for letting me be part of this ring!

Journal Entry 41 by DEESSE at Erstein, Alsace France on Thursday, December 23, 2010
I read the book and tried some of the Random Acts of Kindness - it really feels nice to be a nice person. I even went to Danny Wallace's blog (join me) and read through thousands of more ideas for Random Acts of Kindness!
(e.g. a website called "freerice", where you can improve your language skills or guess the painters of famous paintings, while donating grains of rice for each correct answer. It's fun!)

I bought my own copy of this book and the bookring copy is on its way to polliwog in the USA - together with my own special "Random Act of Kindness".

Journal Entry 42 by DEESSE at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 23, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (12/22/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to polliwog - enjoy!

Journal Entry 43 by DocandSunshine at Lopez Island, Washington USA on Tuesday, January 04, 2011
I got the book , and on my birthday too! My daughter just gave birth to my first grandchild a week ago, and they both live at my home for now, so bear with me if I have this wonderful little book a bit longer than planned. I will try very hard to get it back out within 3-4 weeks. I will PM jujuks today for his/her address.

Special thanks to DEESSE for the BEAUTIFUL card (like a little work of art!) and the lovely bath salts. You made my day cheerier for your kindnesses!

Journal Entry 44 by DocandSunshine at Lopez Island, Washington USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Sincere apologies for the delay on this bookring. I'll be mailing to to jujuks within the next week or two. Thank you for sharing it with me. I enjoyed it!

My favorite RAOK: #153 "Applaud a lady who's clearly made an effort."

There is also an online forum community which seems to be set-up around the book.

UPDATE: This books had been released/mailed to jujuks about a week after I made this entry. As it has not been journalled, I assume it to be lost. =(

Journal Entry 45 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Well, I guess this book is not lost after all, because it just arrived in the mail here in San Diego. I'm so glad to receive such a well-travelled little book! Thanks to all of you for sending it forward -- I've already enjoyed browsing it. I didn't particularly like the cigar idea, and also the one about washing someone's car whether they want you to or not, but I love many of the other ideas: "create a free box with some stuff you no longer need and leave it on a bench" (that's us, isn't it?), or "let someone keep the change", or "make a stranger laugh". I just love the idea that people still have it in mind to make the world a better place, when it feels like too many people are just giving up or making it worse on purpose. Great book!!

July 11 update: checking with souram (Genève, Switzerland - INT) to see if the book is still wanted there. Otherwise will return it to Bluemchenblatt.

Journal Entry 46 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, July 30, 2012
Off by mail to souram in Switzerland!

Journal Entry 47 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Saturday, August 11, 2012
The book arrived safely. I travelled back from France yesterday.

Journal Entry 48 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, August 19, 2012
I enjoyed this book. There are some lovely ideas to make the world a nicer place. "On a rainy day, hand a spare umbrella to someone at a bus stop". "Say something nice about someone behind their back".
20 participants. I'm number 20...

Journal Entry 49 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Friday, August 24, 2012
Who's next ? Nobody ?

Journal Entry 50 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, August 27, 2012
I guess it goes back to Bluemchenblatt

Journal Entry 51 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, October 21, 2012
365 ways to make the world a nicer place.

Journal Entry 52 by wingsouramwing at McDonald's Rive in Genève, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/21/2012 UTC) at McDonald's Rive in Genève, Genève Switzerland

Bienvenue dans le bookcrossing !

Bravo, vous avez capturé ce livre :) Vous avez eu raison d'oser le faire !

N'hésitez pas à visiter, explorer le site http://www.bookcrossing.com. NB: on peut changer la langue du site, cf. tout en bas de la page d'accueil, bande jaune change language.

Le bookcrossing permet de faire voyager des livres comme je le fais, en les "abandonnant" exprès en espérant que quelqu'un les prenne. Pour faire comme moi, il faut s'inscrire sur le site (indiqué plus haut). On peut alors libérer des livres après qu'on les a enregistrés sur le site, échanger (bookrings, rays...)
Sur le forum francophone, ou sur "bookcrossing Romandie.com", vous pouvez poser les questions qui vous titillent, vous trouverez toujours quelqu'un pour y répondre.

Si vous voulez - pas une obligation - vous pouvez en vous inscrivant indiquer que vous avez été parrainé par Souram. A vous de décider.

WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING !