Flying Under Bridges

by Sandi Toksvig | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by awhina of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 6/13/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 17, 2003
Wow! A surprise book in with the bookray arrival - thanks heaps awhina!! Already produced a laugh from the dust cover, so should be an interesting read! Thanks again!!

Journal Entry 2 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 07, 2004
A jaded, cynical, hearts-in-the-right-place look at life as a woman who has provided a loving and supportive home for her family, and feels a little cheated at not having anything come her way in return. A woman who has raised her family instead of working, only to discover that when her children have grown, she has no money of her own, no independence, and no voice or identity of her own.

Reminded me a lot of books like The Sunday Wife (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/869272/Hawkette/book_The-Sunday-Wife---BookRay-Cassandra-King), and Never Been by Elizabeth Berg. This group of books is alomst a new genre - mature women's fiction! It seems like the plight of the 3/4 life crisis!

The book starts off by telling you that Eve is in jail for killing her daughter's husband-to-be on their wedding day. And then through letters from prison and naration, tells the story behind why and how it all happened. So many issues here, but only just touched on. It seems that the author tried to fit it all in, but didn't get around to fully exploring each issue. Family secrets are unraveled, small town prejudices are shown in all their ugliness, and the fracturing of a marriage that has always seemed ok on the surface.

Loved the comment about someone running 2-3 hours a day, saying they will live 10 years longer - and Eve retorting "and you will have spent that extra time running", or words to that effect!!

I will be interested to hear what others think of the book. Will be sending off to the UK with another promised book shortly.

Journal Entry 3 by psychjo from Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 15, 2005
Thanks Hawkette for sending me this :-)

Journal Entry 4 by psychjo from Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2005
Mmm, well it was a good story, very funny in places, but for some reason had to drag my way through this - and I wanted to find out what had happened. So why didn't I enjoy it more? Maybe it was the discussion of religion which was one of the themes running through it, but there was plenty of scepticism and characters who relected badly on religion - which would usually appeal to me! So may be it was just that I didn't connect with the main character, just too distant from my generation and life. Not sure I really know any middle aged women who are actually this lacking in individuality and life, but then guess maybe I'm not going to meet them? She reminded me of the mother in 'Muriel's Wedding' a bit, but at least here she flights a bit more. Maybe as Hawkette she just tries to cover too many topics.

Planning to pass on at a meet-up on Tuesday in Winchester.

Journal Entry 5 by nyassa from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 16, 2005
Picked up at the Winchester meet last night. I've heard mixed reviews about this but I love Sandi Toksvig, and, as a mature women, perhaps I'll enjoy it more!

Journal Entry 6 by nyassa from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, April 28, 2006
Well I didn't dislike it as such, but it was disappointing.

I found the main theme, a 45-year-old woman feeling life has passed her by, somewhat old-fashioned. Surely these days, even allowing for the fact that this was written in 2001, anyone who has stayed at home to look after a family has chosen to do so. There may be something of the empty nest syndrome but that wasn't explored at all.

As Hawkette has pointed out, there are several important themes which are touched upon but not looked at in any depth: women's liberation, environmental issues, religions, sexuality, even the plight of victims of stroke/dementia. Far too much! However I did find it amusing in parts and I did want to find out how it happened.

It was strange, the book I had just finished when I picked it up was We Need to Talk About Kevin, also written in the form of letters, that time from Eva rather than Eve. It involved prison and a murder too, but the books couldn't have been more different.

Thanks to all who have passed it on.

Released 12 yrs ago (5/4/2006 UTC) at Cart & Horses pub, Kings Worthy in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom

At tonight's meet